Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
brlomba1
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Anyone using Windows storage replica for repositories?

Post by brlomba1 »

I've only seen this mentioned a few different spots. Is anyone using the feature in windows called storage replica to replicate windows based repositories? Any success stories?

Looks like it can handle change block tracking replication
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Anyone using Windows storage replica for repositories?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi brlomaba1.

I haven't tried this but I don't see any issues at this point in time (which means I can't guarantee though so test first please ;-)). Storage Replica operates below the file level so technically our repositories are not even aware that they are being replicated. It works with delta's so yes you can consider this "change block tracking". The difference with Veeam VBR is that it doesn't use snapshots for it, only uses some sort of journal of IO's that are changed. So every IO that has been done on the source is synchronously (or async depending on the network and your settings) is sent to the target and applied there also. It does mean however that we are looking into crash-consistency and not application-aware consistency. But as said, I see not really issues as it operates below the file-level (besides maybe some serious IO overhead whenever new files are being written in the repository, or a transform is active on the source)