Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Superkikim
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

B&R VM Copy job fail due to space info retrievement fail

Post by Superkikim »

Hi,

I'm trying to replicate a VM from a vCenter where I have control over ESXi root access, to another vCenter where I have not.

B&R recognize succesfully both infrastructures. I try to create a VM Copy continuous job. The job creation works just fine. Then, the job fail with the following error message:

Code: Select all

Could not perform threshold check for backup location "..." due to space info retrievement fail!
The weird thing is that when I create the job, select the target ESXi server and the target datastore, B&R successfully retrieve all the details of the datastore, including the available space. Then the job fail, and if I edit the job and go back to check the target datastore, it shows a dialog box to put the ESXi console login info.

Fact is I won't have access to that info. It is a rented private cloud infra and they do not provide root access to the hosts.

How can I have my jobs running just relying on vCenter access, and not direct ESXi root access ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: B&R VM Copy job fail due to space info retrievement fail

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,
Superkikim wrote:I'm trying to replicate a VM from a vCenter where I have control over ESXi root access, to another vCenter where I have not....I try to create a VM Copy continuous job
Are you trying to use VM copy or VM replication job?
Superkikim wrote:How can I have my jobs running just relying on vCenter access, and not direct ESXi root access ?
Direct root access to the ESX(i) host is not required, all you need to add is a vCenter Server that manages your ESX(i) hosts.

On top of that, can you please tell me if you have our latest patch installed? I would also recommend to involve our support team in troubleshooting this replication issue.

Thanks!
Superkikim
Influencer

Re: Veeam Backup & Replication 4 licensing

Post by Superkikim »

hi. I've tried VM Copy and replication. The error message was with VM Copy. Replication fails with no error message.

the error message is still the same.

I just wonder... How many vcenter connections does B&R initiate simultaneously ? I think they limit to two sessions on the cloud infrastructure I rent. Could this be a reason of the issue ?

By analyzing the log, I see that it fails to login to vcenter at some point. For instance, I've been able to reproduce the error with another operation. When trying to create a folder on the datastore during the job setup, I get the same authentication error message. I then tried to create that folder from vCenter and it works like a charm. Therefore, it seems that B&R is either using the wrong credentials to connect and access the datastore, or the limited number of connections is too low, and B&R fails because of this.

The log says (in french, because the provider is french) that the username or password is wrong. And we know it's not, as it works on the main interface of B&R and during the creation of the job.

I thought it might be a problem of special caracters in the password, but its not. They are just letters.

I've asked the provider for the vCenter logs, but my guess is that I will never get them.

Here is the log of the job. I've changed hostnames and IP addresses as this is a public forum. Note that the host vc5 is my own infra and I have full access to it. The host pcc is the rented private cloud where I have limited access.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: B&R VM Copy job fail due to space info retrievement fail

Post by foggy »

Please provide full logs to our technical support and continue pursuing this issue with them directly, as Vitaliy has suggested. The team behind this forum is not involved in support and cannot assist you efficiently with technical issues via forum posts. Also, please avoid posting log snippets as it is advised when you click New Topic. Thanks.
Superkikim
Influencer

SOLVED: B&R VM Copy job fail due to space info retrievement

Post by Superkikim » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

The issue is resolved. The provider provided me with a complement of information for the admin credentials.