Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bhendin
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ben H

Backing up snapshots

Post by bhendin »

We use snapshots extensively as a way to rollback systems that are used for development and testing purposes.

It appears the standard backup does not backup/restore anything other than current state.

Is there a way to configure the product that would allow it to do this? I realize there may be some performance penalty for this feature, but it is more critical to preserve these than for quick backup/recovery times.

thanks.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Re: Backing up snapshots

Post by ashman70 »

Since using snapshots in the way you describe using them is against best practice, I don't think there is a way to do what you want. Why not implement replication which is precisely for what you currently using snapshots for?
bhendin
Influencer

Post by bhendin »

Perhaps against best practice for production servers, but this is a development/qa environment.

The testers must perform the snapshots on the systems at the point in time prior to them making changes to the system.
Sometimes, these changes need to be chained several deep and worked on for an extended period of time (weeks).

My understanding is that replication works on a set interval and the snapshots cannot be taken on an at-will basis by the users.
Additionally, this is a single server environment with local storage.

I'm open to suggestions, but I don't believe replication can solve these challenges.
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

There's no way to preserve snapshots in backups or replicas; this is a VMware VADP limitation. The usual recommendation is to power off the VM and perform a file copy of all files in the VM's datastore folder (excluding logs, perhaps).

However, have you considered allowing your testers to perform backups and restores instead of creating and reverting snapshots? If you don't want to allow them access to the main Backup and Replication console, they can perform Quick Backup from the Web Client Plugin, or start the backup jobs normally via Enterprise Manager. Automated recovery via Enterprise Manager is also possible, and offers the quick rollback option, so you aren't stuck waiting for the entire VM to restore. Note that if you need to restrict the ability to restore certain VMs to certain users you need Enterprise Plus edition.
bhendin
Influencer

Post by bhendin »

ok alan... so assuming we are willing to power off the machines nightly, file copy, and then restart in the AM.
Can veeam do a file copy backup? I don't see the ability to set this up? I have seen it's ability to do a file level restore...but not the other way..

I don't want to add more local storage, nor do I want to deal with en external usb backup. We have a storage server for the network that I want to backup too, and would like to integrate these backups using a single platform (veeam).

Backups and restores for the testers isn't really a good solution as it is much more time intensive then flipping between snapshots. It also isn't as easy to track changes in individual backups as it is to simply identify a snapshot by name and description.

thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

bhendin wrote:Can veeam do a file copy backup? I don't see the ability to set this up? I have seen it's ability to do a file level restore...but not the other way..
File Copy jobs can do this.
bhendin
Influencer

Post by bhendin »

Ok thanks...not sure why I didn't see that earlier.

So just some final questions:

1) The VM must be powered off to do these? I ask because nothing in the manual link (or listed in the prereqs) states this.
2) If so to #1, can veeam automate a guest shutdown prior to backing up and restart post backup?
3) Are there any other caveats for backing up in this way? Assuming I grab the entire VM folder on the datastore, I should be able to recover all files and have intact with snapshots?

Again, I realize some of these may not be "best practices" for rpo/rto in a production environment, but we are more concerned with functionality and end-user experience here without wanting to make a large investment in more infrastructure.

thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

bhendin wrote:1) The VM must be powered off to do these? I ask because nothing in the manual link (or listed in the prereqs) states this.
Yes, this comes down to removing any locks from VM files and getting consistent VM state at the target location.
bhendin wrote:2) If so to #1, can veeam automate a guest shutdown prior to backing up and restart post backup?
I believe you can script these operations.
bhendin wrote:3) Are there any other caveats for backing up in this way? Assuming I grab the entire VM folder on the datastore, I should be able to recover all files and have intact with snapshots?
Correct.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

2) If so to #1, can veeam automate a guest shutdown prior to backing up and restart post backup?
You should create a custom script, using combination of PowerCLI and VB&R PS snap-in. The script will:

1) Connect to a given VM (PowerCLI).
2) Power it down (PowerCLI).
3) Start a corresponding file copy job. (VB&R PS snap-in)
4) Connect to a given VM (PowerCLI).
5) Power it up (PowerCLI).

Then, you will have to schedule this script via Windows Scheduler.

Thanks.