Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mikegodwin
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Godwin

Backukp entire VMware cluster with both Windows and Linux VM

Post by mikegodwin »

I have a VMware cluster that runs both Windows and Linux VMs. I want to create the backup job so it backs up all VMs in the cluster, so that if one of the devs adds a VM without telling us it will automatically get backed up. But if I just add the VMware cluster to the Veeam job, I can't specify different credentials for the Windows and Linux VMs. Is there a way to do this, or is there a different best practice I should follow instead of adding the entire cluster to the backup job?
Federicof
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Federico Fernandez

Re: Backukp entire VMware cluster with both Windows and Linu

Post by Federicof »

Are these vm sorted by folders? I do this on most of my clients and I organize them by os type. The username and password will help with os guest file indexing and application recovery but can still back them up without those credentials. Your proxy most likely will mount the vmdks and back them up, unless there is storage integration.
mwvme
Expert
Liked: 33 times
Full Name: Michael White

Re: Backukp entire VMware cluster with both Windows and Linu

Post by mwvme »

Not sure if this will help, but if you use a provisioning service to deploy your VMs, you could tag your VMs with vSphere tags and use that to organize the jobs so that the credential problem did not exist.

Michael
Michael White
Field Product Manager
https://notesfrommwhite.net
@mwVme