Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
myrdin
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: NIck

Backup and Replication jobs at the same time

Post by myrdin »

HI,

I am wondering, since the replication on V8 can run off the backup files instead of taking data from the active VM, can i now run a backup job AND a replica job of the same server at the same time? I am assuming replication won't need to access the source vm (which is being accessed by the backup job), just the latest backup files which is untouched during the backups.

is that correct?

thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup and Replication jobs at the same time

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Nick,

You are right. You can reduce the workload on the production environment by using the remote replica from backup option.
Note that when replicating a VM over a production network, VBR retrieves VM data as of the latest VM state, however, if you replicate a VM from backup, VBR retrieves data as of the point in time when the backup was created.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup and Replication jobs at the same time

Post by foggy »

Just keep in mind that if the backup job is reverse incremental, the latest restore point (full) will be locked during the backup job execution and replication job will have to wait until its completion. And vice versa, if replication is underway at the moment the backup job has started, replication will be terminated so that backup could run seamlessly.