Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
randomizedname
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Backup copy job blocks backup job

Post by randomizedname »

Hi,
I have a problem with a backup copy job blocks a backup job. When a backup copy job is in progress a backup job cannot be processed and quits with the following error:

Code: Select all

Processing test.local Error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. Failed to create or open file [\\nas\Veem\test\test1D2021-07-20T171529_53D3.vbk]. Failed to open storage for read/write access. Storage: [\\nas\Veem\test\test1D2021-07-20T171529_53D3.vbk].
This is problematic becouse full backup copy job takes about a week. This means I won't have any backup from this week. Please help.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup copy job blocks backup job

Post by Mildur »

My first thought about this, don‘t use slow nas storage with Veeam. The issue is mostly, that your nas device doesn‘t give you the performance you need to do your backups.
What Veeam Version do you have installed?
With V10, your backup copy job needs every day to merge the oldest vib file with the oldest vbk file. That could be a pain, if you don‘t have fast network and a fast nas device. All blocks needs to be copied to the backup server and put back to nas again after merging the file.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
randomizedname
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by randomizedname »

The Nas is actually quite fast (True Nas). Everyday backup jobs are done within 30 minutes. On the other hand backup copy job is slow becouse of the link speed to the remote location (100 Mbit/s) but this should be only the problem for the first sync (3TB of data to transfer). Daily increasements are small - about 2-3 GB. I have Veeam V11 installed.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

If you access the NAS with the nfs or cifs protocoll, each time a merge or synthetic full happens, the 3TB will copied back to the gateway server (vbr server in your case i think) and back again as a 3TB file. Daily with V10 or weekly with V11 or forever incremental chain.
And that over your 100mbit link, not very performant :(

You need to deploy a gateway server at the remote location to get around your 100mbit bottleneck.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Basically, backup job must suspend backup copy job if the backup job needs to access the restore point which is being processed by backup copy. The error message is not expected and it must be treated as a technical issue so I recommend to contact our support team. Please share a support case ID over here for our reference.

Thanks!