Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
blake.stevenson
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nucor Stuff

Backup Job Fails Due To Low Space

Post by blake.stevenson »

Good Morning,

I have a Backup Copy job that had 60 restore points. It recently ran out of space on my cloud storage where this backup is mapped to. I changed the restore points to 40 instead of 60 hoping it would delete the extra 20 restore points that aren't needed anymore and clear my space so the backup copy job would process. Unfortunately it keeps failing and it's not deleting the 20 restore points. How can I fix this job without deleting the entire job and starting over. That would take about a week or two over our WAN to our cloud provider.

Thank you all!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Backup Job Fails Due To Low Space

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hello.

Making more space is pretty much the only option here, as backup file merge for retention processing requires scratch space. So either extend the volume, or make SOBR out of your single repository so that second extent could be used as scratch space.

The only other option I can think of is removing some of the latest increments to make space for merge but this would probably required manual configuration database edits... honestly, not even sure what the process would look like but it should be possible in theory.

Thanks!
marcofabbri
Veeam Legend
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Marco Fabbri

Post by marcofabbri »

If you have an incremental backup that is linked to a precedent full, until that incremental is out of date and can be deleted, all previous backup will be keeping on.
Maybe only with a full (or a syntetic) can do the trick.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

@Marco
It looks like he has configured a forever forward incremental chain. A weekly full is not needed to solve his situation.

What Anton has already told in this topic, is the only way to resolve it.

To remove the oldest 20 restorepoints in a forever incremental chain, veeam needs first to copy a new incremental restore points and after that, the fullbackup file needs to be merged with the necessary blocks from the 20 oldest incremental files. For this process, veeam needs to leverage free space.
Without it, there is no deletion.

Activating synthetic fulls like you have mentioned will also require space on the disk. It will take 6-7 weeks with weekly fulls before the oldest 20 restore points can be deleted. Not a good solution for this situation, when there is already zero space left :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software