Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
nicomi88
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Nicolas Nucciarelli

Backup Proxies - Multiple servers setup - Max concurrent tasks parameter

Post by nicomi88 »

Dear Community,

I have a setup where I have 2 Veeam Backup servers roles (SRV1 & SRV2) and 3 Veeam Backup proxies roles (SRV1, SRV2 & SRVPROX) and I have a doubt about the tuning of the "Max Concurrent Tasks" parameter in "Backup Infrastructure > Backup Proxies".

On each Veeam Backup servers (SRV1 & SRV2) I declared all my Proxies (SRV1, SRV2, SRVPROX).

I cannot find out if the values are cumulative? or if the highest value take the lead for the "Max Concurrent Tasks" for a given Proxy.

For example:

On SRV1, I configured the SRVPROX proxy with a maximum of 4 concurrent tasks and,
On SRV2, I configured the SRVPROX proxy with a maximum of 6 concurrent tasks.

What is the outcome for my SRVPROX server?! Should I calibrate it to handle 6 concurrent tasks (the highest value win?) , or should I calibrate it for running 10 concurrent tasks (cumulative) ?

Any help or redirection will be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

A new comer.
Nicolas.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backup Proxies - Multiple servers setup - Max concurrent tasks parameter

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Nicolas,

In your terminology they aren't cumulative, each backup proxy should be configured separately (in your case the value should be 6).
Moreover, your third SRVPROX cannot work simultaneously with two others, if that's what you're considering to set up.

Please review the article about Limitation of Concurrent Tasks in the User Guide for additional information. Thanks!
nicomi88
Novice

Post by nicomi88 »

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

I understood the fact that it is not cumulative regarding your explanation and the article. Thanks for that!

I am still a little bit confused about how to declare my third proxy (SRVPROX) to my existing Veeam Servers (SRV1 & SRV2).

In fact, my Veeam Backup SRV1 is tacking care about the Backup and Backup Copy Jobs and my Veeam Backup SRV2 is taking care about the replication jobs.

I want SRV1 AND SRV2 to be able to use this SRVPROX proxy so I declared it as backup Proxy on both servers.

Is that a problem?

Thanks,

Nicolas.
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Nope, but you should keep in mind that SRV1 doesn't know nothing about the activities on the SRV2, so you should avoid job overlapping.
Please review the existing thread for additional information about sharing proxies.

Thanks!
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Nicolas,

I've checked everything once again and come up with the fact I was wrong a bit.
The backup proxy can work simultaneously with the other two proxies, but overlapping better to be avoided anyway.
Since the Replication job and a backup job can try to process the same VM at the same time and that will cause an issue.

Keeping the said in mind you should consider whether the hardware of SRVRPOX can handle 10 concurrent tasks.

I'm sorry for the confusion.
Thanks!
nicomi88
Novice

Post by nicomi88 »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your additional comment.

All is crystal clear now!

Thanks for help.

Kind regards,

Nicolas.