Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
aaron@ARB
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: ARBCorporationPtyLtd

Backup proxy selection question

Post by aaron@ARB »

Hi all,

I have read the FAQ's and such like that I can find but I cant seem to explain what I am seeing.

Consider the situation

Server 1:
- Veeam 8 Backup server & Repository
- VMWare backup proxy w/SAN access

Server 2:
- VMWare Backup proxy w/SAN access

I have 2 jobs, one consists of 21 VM's and the other consists of 2. When I set the proxy selection for automatic and start the jobs Veeam has set the proxy for all the VM's withing the 2 jobs to the Server 1 proxy thus leaving the proxy on server 2 sitting there idle when it could be servicing a backup request.

Other than manually setting the proxy, shouldn't Veeam try and use this Server 2 proxy when it has the same capability of Server 1?

Also, it looks like the proxy is allocated at the time of starting the job? Given my main 21 VM job takes over 24 hours to complete, can I assume that what Veeam decides at job start is what will be used even though during the 24 hour backup?

I have read http://forums.veeam.com/post39946.html#p39946 and it would appear that the logic would suggest that this proxy would be used but it is not.

TIA!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup proxy selection question

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Aaron,
According to the logic. if you have 2 backup proxies using same mode with access to the repository, it should choose the one with least tasks assigned.
If you choose the Backup Server 2 manually, is VBR backing up in SAN mode? It can be recognized by [nbd], [hotadd] or [Direct SAN] tag in the jobs` actions.
aaron@ARB wrote:Given my main 21 VM job takes over 24 hours to complete, can I assume that what Veeam decides at job start is what will be used even though during the 24 hour backup?
Correct, proxy selection happens once.
Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

To be more precise, proxies are assigned while there're free slots available, so not all the tasks get their resources right at the job start (provided the number of tasks in the job exceeds the number of concurrently available slots).
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

Hi.
Shestakov wrote:If you choose the Backup Server 2 manually, is VBR backing up in SAN mode? It can be recognized by [nbd], [hotadd] or [Direct SAN] tag in the jobs` actions.
Please refer below for the detailed job log

I will explain my backup jobs / repositories and proxy configuration further as to provide additional insight. Names have been changed to protect the guilty.

Jobs
Job 1: 21 VM's consisting of 41 individual VMDK disks. Starts @ 16:30. Repository set for Automatic. Set to Repository 1
Job 2: 2 VM's consistening of 10 individual VMDK disks. Starts @ 16:00. Repository set for Automatic. Set to Repository 2

Repositories
Repository 1: 12 Tasks
Repository 2: 10 Tasks

Backup Proxies
VMWare Backup Proxy: 10 Concurrent tasks
ARBJedi: 10 Concurrent tasks

What I have seen in the logs (happy to attach should you require them is)
  1. Job 2 starts and consumes 10 repository tasks and 10 proxy connections from the 'VMWare Backup Proxy'
  2. Job 1 starts and all jobs sit at pending waiting for an available proxy, even though all tasks from ARBJedi are available as is all the repository slots from Repository 1.
  3. As soon as a disk from Job 2 has finished (like the small OS disk) VM disks from Job 1 will start to be processed
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Most likely the second proxy is not capable of direct SAN access. Try to set it explicitly for one of the jobs and see what transport mode will be used.
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

Please refer to my above post where I attached a picture of the job log where I manually selected the proxy as shestakov had requested, the proxy does have SAN access.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ah, it was not accessible at the moment I was replying, sorry for that. Then I recommend asking our support for assistance in logs review, the proxy selection details should be reflected there.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Aaron,
Based on your reply the job should start working with the 2nd backup proxy rather than waiting for the busy one. As Foggy said the best you can do to investigate the problem is to review the logs with our technical support. Once you have a support case number, please provide it here for us to be able to follow it.
Thanks!