Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MGT1981
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Backup Query questions

Post by MGT1981 »

Hey everyone,

Working in a rather large environment that has had a ton of VM turnover in the past few years. As such I am trying to do some housecleaning and trying to figure out if there is a way to streamline what i am looking to do. Essentially our on site backup policy is as follows

Live Production VM's get backed up nightly to an Exagrid, They also get replicated to a DR cluster in a Colo. there is a third "offsite" backup but that is not pertinent to this question. As we retire/replace VM's, we make a "final backup" of them to a tier 3 storage solution and replicate that storage solution offsite. This is really a "just in case" thing as the data/functions are generally migrated to the new VM.

The problem lies in cleanup. After the final backups get taken to the separate storage they previous nightly backups remain on the production Exagrid, Sometimes for years (well past our live retention policy). So with that i have a few questions

1) is there any way to query "backup exists without live VM" or something to that effect
2) can i query "all VM's which are not backed up or replicated"
3) can i query "all VM's which are backed up but not replicated"

Looking to remove some of those legacy files from storage but also want to make sure i am not missing anything backup wise
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Backup Query questions

Post by wishr »

Hi,

Please find the answers below.

1) No, this is not possible at the moment. Is there a specific reason for having this in place? I always thought a backup should be deleted only once the retention period has ended regardless of is the VM still running or not.
2,3) This could be achieved using Veeam ONE's or Veeam MP's "Protected VMs" report.

Thanks,
Fedor