Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ivanildogalvao
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ivanildo Teixeira Galvão

Backup taking a long time, over 24 hours.

Post by ivanildogalvao »

I have in one environment, two VMware ESXi 6.5 servers, with essentials license.
I have a Veeam 9.5 server on Windows Server 2008 R2 for at least 2 years, it backs up vms hosted on ESXi servers.
For a few months now, backup jobs have started to take a long time to complete, with transfer rates of 10Mb/s, backup takes up to 24 hours and ends up meeting other scheduled jobs.
Then I realized that the hosts have only 2 and 3GB of free RAM, is that the cause of the problem?

Thanks !
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Backup taking a long time, over 24 hours.

Post by wishr »

Hi Ivanildo,

What are your bottleneck stats? They should clearly indicate what infrastructure component is causing the issue.

Please note, that when you are experiencing a technical issue, you should raise a support case in the first place, as requested when you click New topic. Troubleshooting of technical issues through the forums is not possible.

Thanks
ivanildogalvao
Enthusiast

Post by ivanildogalvao »

Hi, thanks for replying.

The bottleneck is indicating source.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

That means there is an issue with the source storage device, so I would recommend starting the investigation there.
ivanildogalvao
Enthusiast

Post by ivanildogalvao »

Source storage is the internal hard drive of each ESXi server. The environment does not use iSCSI or FC storage, apparently there is no problem with the disks.
I saw that each ESXi server hosts between 10 and 20 virtual machines and that there is only 3GB of free RAM on each host, wouldn't that little free memory be a problem?
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Low memory on is definitely an issue and I could imagine it to be the root cause for high latency on the storage. However, this should be confirmed first. For example, you may free some RAM and check if the situation improves, while monitoring storage latency, throughput, and I/O using ways recommended by VMware (there is a variety of articles on the internet). Alternatively, you may open a ticket directly with VMware to get assistance with that.

Thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I'd also recommend to check the transport mode that is used for reading data. For instance, it's worth trying HotAdd transport mode if the current one is set to Network. In Network mode, the read speed greatly depends on performance of network channel between ESXi and proxy.

Thanks!
ivanildogalvao
Enthusiast

Post by ivanildogalvao »

I fully agree, the problem is that in this environment I have two standalone ESXi, without vCenter, to virtualize Veeam, I would need more memory resource and that doesn't exist, because as I said before, each host has only 3GB of free RAM and I would also need to create one Veeam VM on each host.
Early in this deployment, backup happened at a satisfactory speed, now this environment has practically doubled the number of virtual machines, taking up more physical RAM.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Right, and to resolve the issue, you should investigate it, find out the root cause and eliminate it. This can be done with the help of our technical support and VMware. I would advise raising cases with both at the same time, as there is no possibility to troubleshoot technical issues through the forums.

Thanks