Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Davd
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: David Hirsman

Backup without changed block tracking last result Warning

Post by Davd »

Hi,

I have a backup job with 15 VMs and where 2 of the VMs are powered off. These 2 VMs can be powered on and off at any time and therefore I still need to have them in the backup job. CBT doesn't work on powered off VMs and in Veeam 5 I could see in job statistics that both VMs where backed up without changed block tracking and the job status was Success. But in Veeam 6 those 2 VMs give job status Warning and I can see in details that the warning is casued by "Cannot use CBT: Soap fault. A specified parameter was not correct ..". If I power on the VMs and run a backup, CBT is used and status is Successful.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Backup without changed block tracking last result Warnin

Post by Gostev »

Hi David, would you like this warning to be turned into the informational event in cases when the reason for CBT failure is the fact that VM is powered off?
Davd
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: David Hirsman

Post by Davd »

Hi Gostev

That would be perfect... its always nicer to have all jobs status as Successful :)

btw... regarding version 6, the best way to summerize it: That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for virtual backups

There are so many great features that you guys added! Thanks for all you work!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

OK, we are planning to convert another warning into informational event in 6.0.1, so I will ask to change this one as well.
Thanks for your kind words, glad you are enjoying v6!
jevao
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: James Collison

Post by jevao »

If my powered off VMs have only one disk, I do not see the CBT error below.
I only see following error on the second disk of a Powered Off VM.

"Cannot use CBT: Soap fault. A specified parameter was not correct. . deviceKeyDetail: '<InvalidArgumentFault xmlns="urn:internalvim25" xsi:type="InvalidArgument"><invalidProperty>deviceKey</invalidProperty></InvalidArgumentFault>', endpoint: '' error."

It seems for a powered off VM, if there are no changed blocks, the backup output for the first hard disk shows [CBT],
but 0 KB is read. On my VMs, the second disk actually reads some blocks, hence, even on powered off VMs,
it is only on the second hard disk where CBT fails. On the VM I checked,
the second disk says it is a page file when I boot it up, but not sure why it reads the blocks of a powered off VM?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

This behavior is going to be changed, so that only informational event will be triggered for powered off VMs, though I have no idea why only second disk causes this issue. This needs to be investigated.
MattR
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt

Post by MattR »

I have the same cannot use CBT warning after migrating a host from one SAN datastore to another. The VM is powered on.

Code: Select all

1/17/2012 9:47:37 AM :: Cannot use CBT: Soap fault. Error caused by file /vmfs/volumes/<identifier>/Testing VM/Testing VM_1.vmdkDetail: '', endpoint: ''
I understand this will change to an informational note, but does the lack of CBT mean that the job will take longer to process? I am limited in space on the original SAN datastore for the host, which is why the vmdk files were moved. Is there a way to get back to CBT other than to migrate it back to the original datastore?

--
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi - actually, incremental backup will still work, but it will be much slower without CBT.
CBT fix process is described in the sticky Known Issues topic in the main forum.
Thanks.
matthadley
Influencer
Full Name: Matt Haldey

Post by matthadley »

Ok. This morning when I started a replication job I started getting the following warning.

2/8/2012 9:39:22 AM :: Cannot use CBT: Soap fault. A specified parameter was not correct. . deviceKeyDetail: '<InvalidArgumentFault xmlns="urn:internalvim25" xsi:type="InvalidArgument"><invalidProperty>deviceKey</invalidProperty></InvalidArgumentFault>', endpoint: ''

I know of no reason that this should suddenly begin and apply to all four guests. That said, this is a replication of four guests, resident on an ESXi 4.1 host to an ESX 4 host. I can look at making the CBT fix but I should not have to. These are brand new replication jobs on a brand new installation (Monday AM) of Veeam 6 Enterprise. All four guests are up and running and have been.

Thoughts?
matthadley
Influencer
Full Name: Matt Haldey

Post by matthadley »

Update - I followed the instructions to work the CBT fix and it appears to have worked. In the advanced settings, the individual entries, per hard disk, did not exist. I will consider this issue resolved from my perspective unless it re-appears on this four guests for reasons that I cannot fathom.