Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
speja01
Lurker
Liked: never

Best practices for replication job on SQL Server server

Post by speja01 »

Good Afternoon,

I'm new to Veeam and just joined a company which uses it to backup and replicate servers. I have a general best practices question for you. The Veeam admin here currently has a replication job running for my SQL Server which does have the application awareness turned on for SQL doing copy only for the logs. It runs continuously throughout the day. He also has a backup job running against the server doing a full image backup. It also has the application awareness turned on with copy only. I noticed that throughout the day as the replication job is running the I/O on the server is paused and resumed several times. The average time between the pause and resume is typically around 10-12 seconds. What is an acceptable time for the pause and resume? Also, If we continue doing the full image backup and turn on the trans log backups through Veeam, would there still be a need to do the application awareness during replication? Just curious as to what your thoughts are or your best practices.

Thanks
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: Best practices for replication job on SQL Server server

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Hi spreja01 - welcome to the Veeam Forums!

Veeam image-based backup jobs thru the day are interesting - usually not required to be that frequent however with the log management that has been around for a bit. I frequently see backup or replication jobs daily - and much more frequent log-management (either the copy as you have or the delete) job intervals.

So it sounds like the copy of logs is running throughout the day, and the backup job running as well.

When you say the replication job - is that a Veeam replication job? If that is happening multiple times a day - that is interesting. The I/O pause is usually observable, but determining what is typical will lead to 10 or more other questions on your configuration.

I have to ask if one of our lesser-known capabilities are in use, the ability to build a replica from the backup job. This way - the source data is only read once and a backup is made - and from that - a replica can be made off-site. It's the "source" option of the replication job. In there, see if it is reading from the live source VM - or from the backup repository. This step will save some I/O on the SQL Server.

Additionally - the frequency of the backup job, what is that?
speja01
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by speja01 »

Thanks for the response!

The backup (full image backup) job only runs once nightly at 7:30 PM. Yes..it's a Veeam replication job which is set to run continuously against the live VM. The replication job also has the application awareness turned on and is set to perform Copy Only of the trans logs.
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover »

I really don't think running the replication job continuously is a good idea - especially if you are "feeling" it as such.

We do have a planned CDP capability, but that is more than 6 months away from being available. It sounds like the configuration is trying to do that now.

I'd recommend an interval on the replication a bit more realistic - maybe 4hours? What is the requirement offsite?