Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
merbatosco
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Erb

Booting up original VM after full restore

Post by merbatosco »

Hi all,

I recently preformed a full restore of a VM and it worked fine, but I need to turn on the old one to review the logs and other files. As long as I disconnect it from the network, are there any reasons why I shouldn't do this? As I understand it the restore is completely separate from the original VM, but I'd like to confirm that before I turn it on and end up breaking something on the restored version.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Booting up original VM after full restore

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Matthew,

Just make sure that two VMs are not "online" at the same time and this should be it. Disconnecting it from the network or connecting it to a separate network should be the steps you need to do.

Thanks!
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Re: Booting up original VM after full restore

Post by rennerstefan » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
I don't see any issue with what you are describing here. If you performed a full recovery we created a new VM which is not linked to the old one.
As you said the most important thing is to make sure you don't have all of a sudden both, the old and new VM running in the same network/AD as this will get you in trouble.
An alternative to booting up the old one would be to mount the VMDKs to a temporary, other VM and with that you can access the filesystem without having those issues. Of course only the filesystem would be accessible so this will not help if you need any config details of windows or so.
Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA