Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mysticalice
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: mysticalice

Can VEEAM backup job delete or corrupt a VM?

Post by mysticalice »

Set up a backup job in veeam to back up four servers (two windows, two Linux). "Velocity" and "Time IPS" are Linux. The backup job ran and 3 of the VMs worked but the 4th didn't (see below picture).
The second time I ran it it failed too.

What's very concerning is before running the backup job, the VM was running just fine. After running it (and it failed), the VM was off with an error that said "snapshot consolidation needed". There were no snapshots, and the VM wouldn't start up. In the end I handed to restore from a backup. The vmx, vmdk, and other files existed on the datastore, but it wouldn't power on.

Wasn't aware that veeam would be able to damage a virtual machine, linux or otherwise. Looks like a snapshot was taken and then it wasn't able to be deleted? Very worried. The problem is over, but I'm still concerned about creating a new backup job to back up this new TIME IPS server.

Any ideas?
See picture below
Also, still have access to any logs if anyone wants to see them. Again - this is not something that's critical enough to get veeam or VMware involved, but just interested to see what anyone has to suggest.

hiraoglu
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Can VEEAM backup job delete or corrupt a VM?

Post by hiraoglu »

Hi,

I had the same issue, after a vCenter Snapshot. Try to migrate the VM to another host in the cluster or remove it from vCenter inventory and then add back again.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Can VEEAM backup job delete or corrupt a VM?

Post by foggy »

There're most likely some environmental reasons for this behavior, please review a couple of existing threads with similar issues:

V8 backups causing VMs to crash and restart?
An error occured while taking snapshot