Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Can we map backup to point other than most recent?

Post by Bunce »

Hi All.

Need to setup a backup job over WAN to remote site.
  • Created seed job locally at source site, which ended up consisting of 7 restore points
  • This was was copied to USB drive and shipped to destination
  • Upon arrival at destination site, the 5th VIB was found to be corrupt (size = 0), making any following backups unusable - not a problem as we're happy to use any of the preceeding points
  • Copied files up to repository at destination site and imported backups. Tested an instant recovery and all worked OK (up till corrupt VIB restore point of course)
  • Added refernce to that repository at source site - created job and mapped to the backup - all loks OK
  • When running job, error is encountered due to the corrupt VIB file - ie its trying to use the latest restore point referred to in the VBM, which it can't construct
Not sure where to go from here..
  • I tried removing the corrupt and subsequent vibs file manually from disk and then import, but the VBM still has reference to those restore points, and so the job still fails
  • Thought about restoring the full VM's at the destination site from a valid restore point, and then backing them up again, however expect this won't work since they will pick up different VM ID's and so the backup job from source site won't map them
  • VBM file itself looks a mess so doubt I can hack that - would it be possible to hack the DB to remove those restore points?
Upshot is, I need to somehow remove a number of VIBS from an imported (or to be imported) backup, but can't find a way to do it..

Bueller??
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Can we map backup to point other than most recent?

Post by foggy »

Andrew, you can either reseed the job by deleting the corrupt and subsequent restore points along with VBM file at the source side and rerun the job for the VBM to be re-created or contact support for assistance in editing the VBM file to clean up unneeded restore points, I believe this is possible. Thanks!