Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SSowa
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Scott Sowa

Cannot import VBM after 9.5u4b update

Post by SSowa »

We have an air-gapped lab network that we copy VMs into to run application tests and what-if scenarios on. We have always used either VeeamZIP to copy the VMs, or we have just pulled the VBM, VBK, and VIB files into the lab to import those backups. We have done this successfully several times on 9.4 with no issues.

Since the update, we receive an error message each time we import the VBM in lab "Failed to import encryption keys: recovery key with ID has not been found". In the past, we would just receive a warning that we needed to supply the encryption password, and all the backups would fill in. Now, when we put in the password, the backup just disappears from Veeam.

We are able to manually import the VBK and VIB files and all we need is to supply the encryption password, but since we group many VMs in the same backup, it is very tedious to import each VBK one at a time, when all we should have to do is import a single VBM file.

Our current Veeam Support case ID is 03775329
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Cannot import VBM after 9.5u4b update

Post by foggy »

Hi Scott, I would let our engineers investigate that deeper. That doesn't look expected but I can't suggest anything that could cause this besides some sort of database or VBM corruption.
SSowa
Influencer

Post by SSowa »

I do have a case open and have for a few weeks. I was hoping that maybe someone in the community would be able to have a similar experience.
RJI
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Ihmels

Post by RJI »

I have a similar experience. I have installed Veeam 9.5U4b Community Edition on a clean Windows 2019 server install. When trying to import a VBM that was backed up on a different server I get the error about the recovery key not being found. However when I try to import the VBK I get a different error Dir failed, storageFileName 'E:\Initial Backups from Prod\xxxxxxD2019-11-01T153411_D2EE.vbk' The operation competed successfully. KeySet does not contain AESIVKey entry. Unfortunately I have not found a solution yet.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Richard, the OP's case hasn't come to a resolution so far so I recommend contacting support to investigate your particular setup. Thanks!
SSowa
Influencer

Post by SSowa »

Up to now, a support engineer has not been able to resolve this. I will post a solution if I get one, but I was hoping someone else would be able to say "Oh yeah... you just need to do this..."