Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
scott_mac
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Scott Mckenzie

Changing Backup Target / Repository

Post by scott_mac »

I've had a search but can't find a definitive answer so apologies if this is a duplicate question...

The key thing here is that I want to retain the old structure as is but do not want to duplicate it on to the new storage (GDPR compliance in progress).

We have a new storage device and I want to change the backup target. I've created a new repository with the new target configured, however when I go to change the existing job it tells me that I need to move the existing backup files to the repository first....

I'm assuming the best way to do this is to create a new job and leave the old one intact? I was rather reluctant as this involves creating new cloud connect jobs amongst others...

Thanks

Scott
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Changing Backup Target / Repository

Post by Andreas Neufert »

The idea behind this is that we keep track if the backup target is healthy. If you lost some backup files, it is suspicious and we stop working and fail the job.

The same happens if you change the Repository. The Job checks if the backup files are present on the target.

Now you have to options. Copy the existing backups to the new storage. After this the job continues with Incremental processing (no active full needed).
2) Clone the Jobs and select the new target before the first run. Then it will create a new chain. (Disable/Delete the old Jobs).

Here is a Veeam KB with details for the first approach.
https://www.veeam.com/kb1729
scott_mac
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Scott Mckenzie

Re: Changing Backup Target / Repository

Post by scott_mac »

Thank you Andreas, the second option seems to be a quicker way of achieving what I want. Thinking about it, I need to delete the Cloud Connect job anyway as it will have data that is not required. The existing backup will be taken offsite initially so we're covered.

Thank you.