Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Lyriclumpclass
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Changing the vSwitch of a replicated VM

Post by Lyriclumpclass »

Hello,

We have B&R 9.5 and use it to replicate a particular VM (on esxi 6).
On both source and destination servers we have two vSwitches (vSwitch0 and vSwitch1) and the aformentioned VM is connected to vSwitch1 on both.

The question is what happens if we were to move the vm from vSwitch1 to vSwitch1 on the source server in vSphere.

Will the next replication pass adjust the replicated vm configuration on destination server to match the change of virtual switch ?
If not, is the correct action to also make the same change on the destination server maually (in vSphere) ?
If so, will kick of a digest recomputation or will it simply replicate as an incremental (as per the usual) ?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Changing the vSwitch of a replicated VM

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

It should pick up the change made on source and place VM to the corresponding network on target and you will have different states of replica configuration corresponding to each job run:
before and after the change (the actual state). Also, regular incremental runs are expected, I've just tested the behavior on 10.0.0.4461 P2 build (should not differ from 9.5).

Anyway, I recommend to test this scenario in your environment with some "dummy" VM to be 100 % sure that I didn't overlook some important details during my test.

One more thing to keep in mind that you have an option to create explicit network mapping rules for replication job if the network in the DR site does not match the production network.

Thanks!