Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
backupquestions
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Clarification on SQL backup workflow

Post by backupquestions » Aug 15, 2019 1:04 am

From what I have read in the documentation, if I configure veeam to truncate SQL logs, then each time a backup runs on this VM the sql database backup will be viewed and treated as a FULL backup.

So, because of that I would expect that regardless of say a DBA taking their own SQL full and incremental chains with native tools, it would not cause an issue with Veeam's backup. Is this correct?

I do understand that the DBA's own full/incremental SQL native chains would be broken each time Veeam takes a backup, but since Veeam is not doing incremental SQL but FULL each time, it's SQL backups should always be intact regardless and allow me to restore any DB back to the point of time when the last Veeam backup was taken... Right?

Or do I really have to try to ensure that anyone else using native backups uses "copy only"? The company does not care about the DBA one off backups, they only care that Veeam's are valid and can be restored.

Our previous backup software took incremental sql database backups and it would fail and warn you that someone disrupted the chain, and Veeam does not warn you so I don't have a good way to know if people are taking their own native backups on all the SQL servers, but again I believe that is because from the view of SQL each Veeam truncation/backup is a FULL sql backup so it doesn't hurt Veeam. Is that wrong?

Thanks

PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Petr

Re: Clarification on SQL backup workflow

Post by PetrM » Aug 16, 2019 4:05 pm

Hi Alabaster! The only requirement is to use copy only in Veeam job settings if you use native Microsoft SQL Server tools or 3rd party backup tools. I wouldn't expect any impact for Veeam chain as long as copy only option is enabled in Veeam job settings even if 3rd party tools didn't use the same option. Thanks!

backupquestions
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

Re: Clarification on SQL backup workflow

Post by backupquestions » Aug 16, 2019 6:19 pm

Could you clarify a bit more?

My understanding was that the "copy only" is only so that Veeam won't hurt the native sql backup chains.

But let's say I don't care if those break. I only care that Veeam can reliably restore.

Now since Veeam is not doing any incremental sql, only full sql that there is no chain to be broken. Each SQL truncation is a full SQL backup from the perspective of SQL server.

So I would expect even with "truncate the logs" option I am still able to restore at any point regardless of what happens by native tools. The only downside is the native sql tools backups may be unusable but I don't care as i have told the DBAs that only Veeam backups will be worried about. :p

So am I wrong and I still need copy only? Then the logs would never truncate and I don't want that. The thing is they don't do native backups on a regular basis or even for all databases. Just random times that they feel like. So if I have veeam do copy only on all databases then I'll never get the logs cut down...