Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MGT1981
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Clarification on Veeam Failover/Failback

Post by MGT1981 »

Hello,

I was looking for some clarification on the failover and fail-back features in Veeam

Let me give you the scenario. we have an environment with 2 vmware hosts and a Dell PS storage array. This environment is due for replacement and the hope is to go to 2 hosts with local storage, keep the VM's primarily on one and replicate to the second one.

There are a few questions that i had

First, as it relates to host maintenance lets say all of our VMs are on Host A, I need to do ESXi patching to host A that will take an hour. In a shared storage world, i would simply move the VM's. with local storage i would fail my VM's over to the replica's that i have on host B. my question is, if i fail back to host A when the maintenance is done, what happens to the changes that were made during the 1 hour period Host A was being update and the VM's were on Host B? does it copy back to the live VM as part of the failback? or do i lose that?

my second question relates to interactivity with other backup software. Forgetting about the fact that its not ideal, can i use Veeam for replication and something else that is agent based for backups (shadowprotect for example). I know years ago these may have run into each other but i am not sure if that is still the case.

Finally, with Veeam 11 (and presumably vSphere 7.0) how often can i reliably run replication jobs?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Clarification on Veeam Failover/Failback

Post by foggy »

Yes, failback allows to preserve all the changes, please review the corresponding user guide section. You can use replication with other software but for safety reasons, I'd prevent any concurrency between them. With v11 you can do even continuous data protection.