Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rubeng
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Ruben Gilja

Cloud Connect vs Remote Repository

Post by rubeng »

Hi,

We are in the process of testing Cloud Connect with our customers that are running their own VBR server for their VMware environment.

Most of our customers have a standalone ESXi host running 2-5 VMs for the most part, they have the cheapest license for both VMware and Veeam, and the WAN links are usually slow, 2-20Mbits. WAN Accelerator is probably impossible to get the customer to buy unless there's some sort of rental feature...

Today, we are copying backups to USB connected HDDs which is swapped physically by a consultant, and brought back to our HQ for storing.

So, my question is:

1. In our scenario, is there any other benefits of Cloud Connect than the fact its secure, simple to set up and manage?

2. Would there be a better performance/shorter backup copy interval if we used a simple Remote Backup Repository, with a remote proxy and remote Repository? (Im thinking of the processing being done in the remote/target location)

We have tried Backup Copy Jobs to a Remote Repository by adding a repository over WAN, in version 6.5 and 7, but the time to complete took forever, so we canceled it and went back to swapping the drives again..

All answers, tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Best Regards,

Ruben Gilja
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Cloud Connect vs Remote Repository

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Ruben,

1. The main benefits are those you`ve named. Remote repository vs. CC is also usually CAPEX vs. OPEX.
2. Proxy is not a part of data flow in case of backup copy.
rubeng wrote:We have tried Backup Copy Jobs to a Remote Repository by adding a repository over WAN, in version 6.5 and 7, but the time to complete took forever, so we canceled it and went back to swapping the drives again..
Have you implemented Seeding for backup copy jobs?
Thanks!
rubeng
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Ruben Gilja

Post by rubeng »

Thank you for getting back to me.

We know about the seeding option, yes. I was just wondering if there were anything I might have missed, that could benefit us.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

A general technique to speed up backup copy job is the mentioned WAN acceleration.
Poor performance investigation is usually started from the bottleneck statistics. If you provide it we can think how to improve the performance.
Thanks!