Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
chiller15
Novice
Liked: never

Daily Backups, Backup Copy and slow target

Post by chiller15 »

I run daily backups at 10pm every night, which are about 5TB in size on my main repository. I want to create a backup copy job on my secondary NAS (which is slow and transfers at about 40MB/s), located in another building, however I only want this device to be powered on over the weekend and power off on Monday morning, so it's only online for about 48 hours over the weekend.

My question is:
As the target NAS is slow, I suspect that most jobs are not going to copy before the next main backups run at 10pm later that day. If I configure the job's schedule to only run from 6am Saturday to 6am Monday...what happens when Saturday's and Sunday's backup jobs run at 10pm? Once they complete, will the copy job see these as new data and automatically start copying them too? Because if that's the case, it's never going to complete.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Daily Backups, Backup Copy and slow target

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

With given settings, at 6am Saturday backup copy job(s) will start checking new restore points created by primary jobs.
Then copy job will start copying the restore points to secondary NAS. It will take ~1.5 days to copy 5TB over 40MB/s link.
Once the copy is finished, backup copy jobs will search for newly created backups and find the one created at 10pm Saturday. It will try to copy it as well to the secondary repository.
If there is again 5TB, the copy process will be stopped at 6am Monday and aborted.
However, you can try to prevent synchronization once the first copy run is over.
Thanks
chiller15
Novice

Post by chiller15 »

Hi Shestakov, thanks for your reply. How do I prevent it from synchronising after the first copy run is over?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Try to set Copy every interval equal to 1 day with start time 6am.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If you configure the backup copy job with a 7 days interval, it will not attempt to copy anything after successfully creating a restore point on target - backup copy jobs create only a single restore point per copy interval. Also, pay attention to the backup method used by the source backup job, if it's by any chance a reverse incremental job, once started, it will terminate the running backup copy since requires access to the same backup file.
chiller15
Novice

Post by chiller15 »

Thanks for the replies both. That sounds just how I want it. If a backup copy job for ServerA is still running at 10pm, what happens when the scheduled normal backup wants to start - is it postponed until the copy job finishes? Adversely, if a ServerA is currently running a normal backup job and the backup copy job is due to process it, will backup copy wait until the other job has finished?

I'm just wondering what would happen at 10pm on Sunday and the backup job for ServerA is running, but it's not yet been copied by the backup copy job. As that would only leave until 6am the following morning for the backup copy job to process it (based on my current schedule, which can of course be changed).
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

As mentioned, it depends on the source job backup method - it will start normally (in parallel with the backup copy) in case the method is forward incremental and will terminate the backup copy in case it is reverse incremental (backup job has higher priority than backup copy).