Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
casaubon
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Antoine

Deduplication & compression settings best practices

Post by casaubon »

Hello,

i am looking for some best practices for the settings of the 'storage' tab settings (ie Compression and deduplication level).

My Veeam design is a single VBR VM (virtual appliance mode) on a ESXi standalone with a big VMDK (local storage) acting as repository. So i don't have any dedup appliance. therefore, my backup proxy and repository proxy services are on the same OS : data transfer between the backup proxy (reading and processing dedup & compression) and the repository proxy (writing on disc) are not transmit on network (if i understood well... i guess they use some interprocess mechanism ?).

My questions are :
  • Can i use the WAN dedup setting in order to maximize the dedup ratio on my repository, even if the network is not used ? Does it make sense ?
  • Can i use the Best Compression setting in order to reduce the backup files size ?
  • Does anyone have some interesting feedbak on this both settings ? Does Veeam provides some official best practices (i did not find anything on the site) ?
I know that setting this parameters to the highest value will increase the backup window due to the time of computing the dedup and the compression by the backup proxy...

Rgds,
casaubon
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Deduplication & compression settings best practices

Post by Gostev »

Yes and Yes.