Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MarcinS
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

delete restore point

Post by MarcinS »

Hi,

i have 2 questions for below subject "Removing Missing Restore Points" https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

-why is not possible to delete restore point which i select but only missed ones .....for example i want to delete selected 3rd of 10 of all restore points as i not needed any more. I can override it as manual deletion from disk and then re-scan repository(*1) an then use forget/delete from veeam. I point to this part of documentation. But why i can do that on mine request from GUI
Important!
The Forget and Delete from disk options are available only for restore points that are missing from the backup chain or points that depend on missing ones. If the restore point is available in the backup chain and does not depend on a missing restore point, you will not be able to use the Forget and Delete from disk options for it.
-second question if some restore points (rp) is missed what is different between forget and delete ...rp is missed so both commands forward us to the same. Or lets ask differently what for is "delete" option. Is not possible to use when i want (as i already mentioned in 1st question) but when is possible to use its give us the same as "forget" option. Or please show me situation when they work differently ?

regards
Marcin

*1= btw why i can not rescan only extend but must scan full repository
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: delete restore point

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Marcin,
MarcinS wrote:why is not possible to delete restore point which i select but only missed ones
There are a few reasons to not let you delete restore points you want:
1. This way of protection from loosing\deleting backups.
2. Restore points are depended in terms of backup chain, for example, if you will delete 3rd restore point in the chain then the rest RPs from 4 to 10 become unusable.
MarcinS wrote:second question if some restore points (rp) is missed what is different between forget and delete
I'd like to expand term "missing restore point" - it can be disappeared\deleted backup file from the repository or backup file exists but get corrupted\unusable.
So, if you know the missing backup file was missed by deletion you can use "forget" to clean DB.

If I was not clear in explanation, do not hesitate to ask additional questions. Thanks!
MarcinS
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by MarcinS »

DGrinev wrote: There are a few reasons to not let you delete restore points you want:
1. This way of protection from loosing\deleting backups.
2. Restore points are depended in terms of backup chain, for example, if you will delete 3rd restore point in the chain then the rest RPs from 4 to 10 become unusable.
I understood Your point of view but in mine opinion we should treat us as "administrators" beside to "childs which opened console and clicking". If i have reason to do that i should have possibility to do that. Protection can be for me just popup window (as always in veeam) with question are You sure and optionally show what will be or what must be deleted to follow mine decision. (like i select 1 of incerementals so system it will delete full chain). Now veeam loose for me "easy" way of managing backup as method to delete manually some from file level and then rescan and then forget/delete is like from 1989 beside to 2018. I give example i had policy to keep 30 rps for vm. No policy change and i need just 15, so i must wait 15 days (if bck is every day) ? or i need do that as i am out of space and need fast solution for now beside to wait 15 days. This only easiest problems cause i can imagine and i have to delete some RPs from the middle of queue as i want to have few old and newest beside to full history and how to do that ..manually ? .Anyway thx for clarification.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

The solution for the described example can be achieved in different ways, it depends on the backup method.
If the method is Forever forward incremental, then you can simply reduce the amount of restore points to keep and after the next incremental run the backup chain will be shortened according to the new value.
Manual deletion is a highly undesired approach, but if you want to be able to delete some older and newer RPs, then you should look at Backup Chain Transform option. Thanks!