Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
borgiaj
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Joe Borgia

Direct Storage Access question

Post by borgiaj »

Hello all.

I am considering configuring direct storage access as my transport method. I've read the documentation. Based on my setup, I'm already most of the way there in terms of getting it going. I have a question about one of the requirements though because I'm not overly knowledgeable about VMware.

[For restore operations] A backup proxy must have write access to LUNs where VM disks are located.

If I am only exposing the proxy OS to the datastore LUNs where the VMs are located, how will I know if, or how do I make sure those LUNs are somehow writable from the proxy OS? Is there something somewhere in vSphere that needs to be configured to allow that?

Thanks,
Joe
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Re: Direct Storage Access question

Post by rennerstefan » 1 person likes this post

Hi Joe,

thanks for reaching out.
As long as the LUN is set writable on your storage array for the proxy IQN/WWPN it’s good to go. No need to care about the vmfs in that case as we am VMware will take care of it.

Please be aware that write access to a VMware LUN from a server that is not vsphere always has some risk with it. For example that’s Someone doesn’t know what lun it is in Windows and formats it. That’s why I remocimmend using our backup from storage Snapshot function if possible. It will care about Snapshotting the storage and mounting to the Proxies automatically.
Details can be found here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Let us know on further question.
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA