Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sonicasuk
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: a

Do we have enough memory

Post by sonicasuk »

Hi,
Just a quick question,
at the moment im looking into an issue which results in the backups running longer than normal.
Im not sure but could this be a memory issue which is causing the backups to run for longer than normal.
The server is a windows 2008R2 X64
24 cores
44Gb memory.
Yesterday evening when i was checking the backup servers task manager i saw that the server was using 99% of the available memory with 37 jobs running.
we also have 3 veeam proxy servers. however when i was logged in on the proxy servers the memory usage was no where near the 99% i saw on the backup server.

Thanks in advance.
regards
sonic
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Do we have enough memory

Post by veremin »

I wouldn’t say it’s something related to memory, since not until now did backup jobs start to take longer. If memory had been the issue, it would have shown up earlier. Though, it still might be worth understanding what exact process is consuming all the memory available.

Anyway, it’s more interesting to hear what the bottleneck statistics for the jobs are and whether anything has recently changed in your environment.

Thanks.
Jamie Pert
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jamie Pert

Post by Jamie Pert »

Veeam's little summary of bottleneck statistics are massively handy, shouldn't be overlooked.
@jam1epert on Twitter
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

Note that no matter how much memory you have, Windows OS will always attempt to use all available physical RAM for system cache. There are a few topics around here discussing this in more details, if you are interested to learn more.

1GB per concurrent job is a good rule of thumb for when backup server is also a proxy server, so you should be good unless you are storing backups on the same server. Repository agent can consume much more RAM depending on the backup size.