Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mwarble
Lurker
Liked: never

Does File Copy use FastSCP

Post by mwarble »

I'm transferring some VMs on ESXi 6.5 using the manual copy process. Copying the vmdk files using SCP has abysmal transfer rate of 2 - 3 Mbps. Searching around the web I found people praising Veeam Fast SCP, discovered that it is now available as part of the Free Backup product. Installed the Free Backup Product. Couldn't find anything that referenced Fast SCP in the Free Backup product. Did some more searching and found that someone said with the Free Backup a file copy operation = Fast SCP; however, using the Free Backup file copy operation I'm still seeing abysmal transfer rates of 2 -3 Mbps. There doesn't seem to be any difference between copying the file using Free Backup as to simply SCPing the file via Linux command line.

The file that is being copied is a flat vmdk file that is 250Gb. The file is being copied from an HDD on Windows 10 to an HDD on VmWare ESXi 6.5.

Is there something special I need to do to get the improved transfer rate with the Free Backup?

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Does File Copy use FastSCP

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Veeam FAstSCP has been built into Veeam Backup & Replication, that's why you cannot find this as a standalone tool. File copy operation depends on many variables, including network, upload/download speed of the NICs installed in the EXSi hosts and your Windows computer. There is no extra configuration required to make it work, so it seems like this might be a maximum performance for this configuration.

Thank you!