Error after vSphere update

VMware specific discussions

Re: Cannot Exclude Disk

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:47 pm

(summary here still shows VM size as 1.9TB though)

It’s a known bug that is going to be fixed in the next release.

As to exclusion issue, please be aware that this setting has to do with Veeam backup/replication processing only, meanwhile, VMware snapshot is operation that happens on all disks at once regardless of the options set in VB&R. As a result, you get a typical VMware failure that occurs when the snapshot file at its maximum size is unable to fit into a datastore.

As a potential workaround, you might want to set unrequired disks as independent ones via vSphere client, and also exclude them in VB&R console.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

[MERGED] File is larger than maximum size error

Veeam Logoby doc_ufo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:58 am

Hi,

I'm trying to configure my veeam backup, but I hit:
Error: File <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore '<unspecified datastore>

The calculated size of the VM is 7.7TB, provisioned size is 9.54TB split into different datastore each at 1.99TB

I've tried selecting different VM disk but all give me the same calculated size of 7.7tb which should be the case, i.e my system drive is only allocated 20gb.

Please help as this is the first time im using veeam and it's quite frustrating when backing up data and is seriously considering changing software.
doc_ufo
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Vincent Tan

Re: Error after vSphere update

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:27 am

Vincent, please review the thread you've been merged into for considerations regarding this error. If after reviewing it, you still have any questions, feel free to ask here. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1083 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:36 am

Basically, 1.99 TB is too large to keep a snapshot of it, you need smaller vmdk to be able to snapshot them.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1334 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:49 am

There is even an existing KB article regarding it; might be worth taking a look. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 973 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby doc_ufo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:45 am

Im not sure the three solutions are for me. Veeam is installed on a standalone server and its working fine previously when the vm is calculated to be 5.5tb. Not sure what was working previously and not now.
doc_ufo
Lurker

Full Name: Vincent Tan

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Could you please try to create the snapshot of this VM manually using vSphere Client?
foggy
Veeam Software

File is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore

Veeam Logoby magix » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:56 pm

Dear all,

I also have the same problem but I am not sure how to solve it even after having read all posts on this forum ! The error is :
"Creating VM snapshot Error: File <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore '<unspecified datastore>"

We have a virtual machine with 4 disks :
* Disk 1 : 8GB, Datastore_1 (max size 36GB)
* Disk 2 : 2GB, Datastore_1 (max size 30GB) [independent]
* Disk 3 : 400GB, Datastore_DataUsers (max size 407 GB)
* Disk 4 : 100GB, Datastore_3 (max size 712 GB)

The datastores :
* Datastore_1, VMFS 3.31, block size 1MB, max filesize 256GB
* Datastore_DataUsers, VMFS 3.31, block size 2MB, max filesize 512GB
* Datastore_3, VMFS 3.31, block size 1MB, max filesize 256GB

My first question is, how to know which disk or datastore makes impossible to take a snapshot ?
And more important, what would be the best solution to solve this problem ?

Thanks in advance for any help !
magix
Novice

Full Name: Denis BUCHER

Re: File is larger than the maximum size supported by datast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:51 pm 2 people like this post

magix wrote:My first question is, how to know which disk or datastore makes impossible to take a snapshot ?

The one where VMX file for this VM is located. By default, on VMFS 3.x snapshots of all disks are created on the datastore where VMX file is stored.

magix wrote:And more important, what would be the best solution to solve this problem ?

You can use workingDir parameter to redirect the snapshot to the datastore with required max file size supported.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby magix » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:59 pm

And this is the free spaces on the datastores of my previous post :
* Datastore_1, 28 GB
* Datastore_DataUsers, 8 GB
* Datastore_3, 612 GB
magix
Novice

Veeam Logoby magix » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks a lot foggy for your answer, I think I understand now !

OK so now I understand more clearly. As the vmx file of this VM is located on Datastore_1 with a max filesize of 256GB and one of the file/Disk of the VM has a size of 400GB, this makes the snapshot impossible.

Therefore I created a new folder on another datastore with max filesize 2TB and will change the workingDir of the VM as soon as I can power it off.

I will keep you informed in case of success !
magix
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Yep, make sure you redirect snapshots to the datastore that supports the required max file size and has enough available space to hold all the snapshots (seems that currently no datastore complies with both requirements).
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby magix » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:22 am

I have a datastore that looks ok : Datastore_Slow, block size 8MB, max file size 2048GB, free 600GB.

But now my problem is that I want to add workingDir, but VMWare doesn't seem to accept it (it is not saved).
Therefore I tried to change the VMX file directly.
I defined workingDir = /vmfs/volumes/4f830c21-b5c9f0f4-b4db-00215edb3e1a/WORKDIR/

It looks like it is working now... ! Thanks a lot for your help :)
magix
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:23 am

You're welcome. Should any additional questions come up, feel free to ask.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Error: File <unspecified filename>

Veeam Logoby JohnGG » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:07 pm

Gday everyone, i have 6 servers on ESXi4.0.1 and i have a DR which is ESXi5.5, i have set up some replication jobs and 3 o the servers seem to fail.
On the production host it has VMFS 3.46 (esxi 4.0.1), data stores are (Datastore1 & Datastore2 & Datastore3 all have 8MB block, 1.85 Terabyte capacity (All Raid 5), DatastoreC-Drive(1 MB Block size Capacity 1.64 Terabyte (Raid 5)).
The DR has VMFS 5.6.0 (ESXi 5.5, Datastore1 1MB block size and capacity of 5.46 terabyte (Raid 10)).
Now the issue is some of the servers work replicate to the DR site just fine but there are 3 that refuse to replicate and throw the following error "Error: File <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore '<unspecified datastore>"
I did read that going from 8 to 1 meg block will fail but it does work with some of the servers.
Im using the latest veeam 7 and have a trial license while i try and get this sorted. I really wanted to buy Veeam but if i cannot get the replication to work then i would have to look for somethign else.
The server that does work has a C:\ drive with 1 mb block and a E:\ drive with a 8 meg block(All E: drives use the 8 MB block size datastores). When i tried backing up the mail server it threw that error above straight away but the SQLServer which has the exact same setup but the disks are a little smaller and replicates just fine.

Any solutions?
JohnGG
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John G

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere