Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Sneddo
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David Sneddon

ESXi host ip address change

Post by Sneddo »

Hi Guys,

I am running Veeam Backup and Replication 6.

We have a new DR server with ESXi on it (DRVM01). We have a virtual machine running on DRVM01 with Veeam on it (DRVeeam01).

Within DRVeeam01 we have 9 replication jobs.

Initially we had DRVM01 in our head office which is the same physical location as the servers we wanted to replicate for our DR plan. We gave DRVM01 and DRVeeam01 ip addresses relevant to this location (head office) and replicated the 9 servers we want for DR to DRVM01.

Now we have shipped DRVM01 to a remote site and we have had to change the ip address of DRVM01 and DRVeeam01 to a different subnet.

My question is, I have added DRVM01 into Veeam Backup and Replication again with the new ip address however the replication jobs still point to the old ip address that DRVM01 had. How can I get these replication jobs to point to a new ip address?

I right click on the replication jobs and in the properties I change the destination ip to the new ip address for DRVM01 however on the next screen "Job Settings" I cannot do anything because it says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

Please help.

Thanks a lot.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: ESXi host ip address change

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Sneddo wrote:My question is, I have added DRVM01 into Veeam Backup and Replication again with the new ip address however the replication jobs still point to the old ip address that DRVM01 had. How can I get these replication jobs to point to a new ip address?
Basically, If you had added DRVM01 by its hostname to the backup console, you wouldn't have needed to re-add it again, as IP address change should be handled solely by your DNS server. Since you have "changed" your destination target, you need to map production VMs to its replicas on the DR site.

You can find mapping instructions in our User Guide (starting from page 43).
Sneddo wrote:I right click on the replication jobs and in the properties I change the destination ip to the new ip address for DRVM01 however on the next screen "Job Settings" I cannot do anything because it says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".
Debug logs review is required here, so please contact our support team for assistance.
rrkerr
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan

Changing IP addresses

Post by rrkerr »

[merged]

Are there any known problems associated with changing IP addresses of Veeam 6 Backup and proxy server, or the target ESXi 4.1 host used in replication? Anyone had cause to do this?

I ask because after changing the mgmt IP of an ESXi host used as a replica target, and the IP of the physical Veeam 6 server, the replica job details still displays the previous IP address in the target column. If I edit the job, go the the Destination settings and click on Choose, I can browse the vCentre server, and pick the ESXi host with it's new IP. However, on clicking Finish, the job properties don't change and the target IP is still set to the old address.
Various issues are seen when running replication jobs again, but I can't be sure if there as a result of moving to a different subnet or physically moving the host to the other site; I suspect the latter due to the WAN link.