Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
leduke
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: alex

Exchange and Active Directory

Post by leduke »

Hello.

I don't understand how Veeam Enterprise does the backup for Active Directory and Exchange Server.

Must I create a special job or is it the same job as any kind of virtual machine?

How does the restoration work? I don't understand the role of the virtual lab.

Thank you for information.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Exchange and Active Directory

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Alex,
leduke wrote:]I don't understand how Veeam Enterprise does the backup for Active Directory and Exchange Server.
Veeam B&R backs up these VMs as any other VMs. If you're going to backup Exchange and AD VMs, make sure you enable "application-aware image processing" for these VMs.
leduke wrote:How does the restoration work? I don't understand the role of the virtual lab.
Please review our sticky F.A.Q. topic that should answer your question: VMware : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

In addition to this, please take a look at Veeam Explorer for Exchange functionality (User Guide, p. 303), that can be used to restore Exchange 2010 items.

Thanks!
leduke
Enthusiast

Post by leduke »

Thank you.
I much more understand what is Virtual Lab: it's an environmenent wher veeam can browse backuped virtual machines to restore items...

-> If I have un vsphere cluster with two host, is one of my host can be specified for my virtual lab ?
-> To set a datastore for the virtual lab, what is the size required for this ? Is the virtual lab will restore the entire Exchange Virtual Machine in this place ?
Vitaliy S. wrote: In addition to this, please take a look at Veeam Explorer for Exchange functionality (User Guide, p. 303), that can be used to restore Exchange 2010 items.
Hum.... in the documentation: "Extensible Storage Engine
To work with database files, Veeam Explorer for Exchange requires a special dynamic link library —ese.dll, supplied with Microsoft Exchange 2010. The ese.dll file should be of the same version as Microsoft Exchange that was used to create database files. Currently, Veeam Explorer for Exchange supports only Microsoft Exchange 2010 SP1 and SP2."

-> I cannot backup my Exchange 2007 with Veeam 6.5 ??? :shock:

Thank you.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

leduke wrote:-> If I have un vsphere cluster with two host, is one of my host can be specified for my virtual lab ?
Yes, of course.
leduke wrote:-> To set a datastore for the virtual lab, what is the size required for this ? Is the virtual lab will restore the entire Exchange Virtual Machine in this place ?
No, your VMs will be started from the compressed and deduplicated backup files directly. Here is a recorded Whiteboard Fridays webinar for further details, please take a look: http://www.veeam.com/videos/whiteboard- ... g-785.html
leduke wrote:-> I cannot backup my Exchange 2007 with Veeam 6.5 ???
Surely you can! Exchange Explorer has nothing to do with backup functionality, it was built for item restores. Since you have Exchange 2007 you will need to use Exchange AIR to restore Exchange items.
leduke
Enthusiast

Post by leduke »

OK, thank you I just download "veeam_backup_ex_air_6.5.0.109"

I will try to perform restore on test items.

Thank you so much ! :D