Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
JosueM
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Josue Maldonado

Extend storage suggestion.

Post by JosueM »

Good day everyone.

We have one Dell Powervault MD3220i with 18x 900GB 10K Rpm drives that currently running out of space. We are going to attach an MD1220 with a 6Gb SAS Cable and having 18x 600GB 15K rpm drives and 4x800GB SSD.

We pretend to move to SSD volumen some of the most demanding servers at least one app server and one exchange server and to use this SSD volumen for VMs snapshot so it can improve the time it takes veeam to create/remove the snapshot wich currently limit us to not run backups/replicas on production so our RPO is about 24 hours and we are looking to low that.

Please let me know your toughts/recommendation on this or better ways to improve it.

Thanks.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Extend storage suggestion.

Post by dellock6 »

Josue,
are you talking about production storage where the VMs are running, or the backup target created using the units you described?
If the first case, a faster source storage can help on reducing the backup window, if the target is not already the bottleneck, otherwise adding more power to source will not change the result. What are the bottlenecks of your job stats?
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
JosueM
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Josue Maldonado

Post by JosueM »

Thanks for you reply Luca,

Actually must of jobs bottleneck is target , despite some jobs has source and network too. Main production storage is a md3200i with 12x 600GB 15K Rpm but is also getting full. Local backup is done to the MD3220i wich has 2 disk groups in one resides production vms and on the other backups/replicas.

Vendor is proposing to buy brand new MD3820i + MD1220 expansion to replace production storage, but company limited budget is an issue. So the main idea so far is to get an MD1220 with 15K SAS and SSD drives to attach to the MD3220i, you may wonder why, well in this case just because the MD3220i is newer than the MD3200i in about 1 year.

We plan to move some workload to the 15K SAS drives and most storage performance demanding VMS to the SSD volume, also we plan to set snapshot to the the SSD volume. So we are try to keep using existing storage and extend it and hopefully improve some performance adding the SSDs.

Any comments or different idea is totally welcome.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Pointing the jobs that report target as the bottleneck to a faster storage would allow to optimize the backup window.