Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
t_ahrens
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Thorger Ahrens

Failback after permanent failover?

Post by t_ahrens »

Hello all,

Another question concerning VM replicas...

Is it possible to failback to original productive VM after having commited "permanent failover", or only if the replica is in "failover" state?

Or asked the other way round: what is the difference between "failover" and "permanent failover" respectively, what is the special use / what are the advantages of these both failover options?

After reading the documentation, the difference / use has not become clear to me. In which case do I have to use which option?

Regards
Thorger
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Failback after permanent failover?

Post by DGrinev »

Hello Thorger,

You can treat failover as a temporary process that should be finalized.
You have three options for finalizing:
1. Undo failover - discard all changes being made in temporary\replica VM during it's up time and get back to original VM.
2. Failback - preserve all changes being made in temporary\replica VM and get back to original VM merging them into it.
3. Permanent failover - the original VM will never come back due to a disaster, so merge all changes into temporary\replica VM and recognize it as production, without ability to undo or failback lately.

Hope that answered your questions. Thanks!
johnkdevlin
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: john devlin

Post by johnkdevlin »

Hi Thorger

In reference to "merge all changes into temporary\replica VM and recognize it as production," is there a process to do this or does the veean permanent failover process take care of the merges. thanks
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi John,

During the permanent failover the merge process is fully managed by Veeam, I hope that answered your question. Thanks!