Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
johnlockie
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Failed to delete OIB....

Post by johnlockie »

I know there are a number of forums posts on this, and a couple KBs I found. While reading those I figured I would post here too just to see if I might be thinking right...

I am backing up proxy to proxy, with an iSCSI LUN mounted to the target windows machine. This LUN has 200GB free, and is a 1TB LUN (is roughly 75% full). Could I be getting these errors becaus I am backing up a VM that is 250GB before deduplication and compression?!?! 200GB seems like plenty of space to me, but I am going to go ahead and grow the LUN and attempt backups again. Note the full backup already exists (although this is a reverse incremental), and it is only supposed to be transferring changes....

I am getting these errors:

Code: Select all

Failed to delete oib
Client error: the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
Failed to create or open file [F:\Backups\<tons of garbage I won't copy here>]
Failed to backup text locally
That leads me to another question: do I need to recreate these jobs and reseed them? If so, that's a huge bummer, but I guess if it's because of space limitation I can prevent it going forward by making sure that LUN has plenty of headroom.
johnlockie
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Re: Failed to delete OIB....

Post by johnlockie » 1 person likes this post

I think I found our problem..

We have a tape backup job scheduled to run against this directory. It is either locking the files and preventing Veeam from doing what it needs, or the tape job is switching the archive bits possibly tweaking Veeam.

I do not think it's a volume space issue, although that would make sense too. But looking at the error logs and using process monitor to see what processes/apps are touching this volume I saw the tape backup process.....NASTY! =)