Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
CIT_Hemel
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Geoff Carr

Failing over to network warning

Post by CIT_Hemel »

Hello, hope someone can help!

We have the following: -
2 x ESXi hosts connected to iSCSI SAN (HA Cluster)
1 x ESXi host (DMZ) with local storage
1 x Backup and Managment Server (Veeam B&R 6 patch 3 / vCenter) access to SAN via ISCSI and DMZ network via firewall

We have the default VMware Backup Proxy that is set to Automatic and failover to network if primary option not available.

We have a backup job to backup all VMs on HA Cluster which runs perfectly and uses Direct SAN access. We have created a second job to backup the VMs on the local storage of the DMZ host and the job completes but with a warning about failing over to network. I have tried all the options in the proxy settings but it still reports as a warning. Also, without failover to network the job fails but I would have expected that set on automatically then it would use network anyway since that is one of the options.

I understand that you can create additional backup proxies but this is not ideal for us as we would need another VM on the DMZ host involving an additional Windows license as we do not have data centre licenses on that host.

Is there a way to configure it so that it does not complete with a warning? I have found this post http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f ... tus#p35651 where Gostev suggests it is not a warning status trigger however I constantly get the job completing with a warning status.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Geoff
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Failing over to network warning

Post by foggy »

Geoff, to avoid getting this warning, you need to explicitly specify Network transport mode for the proxy. But in that case all jobs using it will run in this mode, which, I guess, is not what you really want. To deploy another proxy you do not actually need to set up additional VM. You can use one of the existing ones having enough processing resources.
CIT_Hemel
Lurker
Full Name: Geoff Carr

Post by CIT_Hemel »

Thanks for the reply Foggy

I only have one Windows Server on the DMZ host, I have pushed the transport service out to this from the GUI and configured the job to use the new Proxy but if I leave it with Network set it fails with "Unable to allocate processing resources" and if I set it to Virtual Appliance it just seems to hang. Even after 20mins it just seems to be sitting there not doing a lot.

Other than pushing it from the GUI is there anything that actually needs to be configured on the Proxy?

Other than an additional proxy, is there no way to get it to not flag the warning. I mean the job is working as intended, the client just wants to know that the job is successful.

Regards

Geoff
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Why don't you simply explain to the customer:
- successful: the backup is correctly done, ignore the report
- warning: the backup is again correctly done, simply not as configured, ignore the report
- failed: DO NOT ignore the report
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

A two-way connection between backup console and proxy server is required and it looks like there is no seamless communication between them in your setup (which is logical if we are talking about DMZ). Try to check the ports required (the list is given in the user guide).

Virtual Appliance should not work, expected, as the proxy cannot hotadd itself (covered in release notes).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

I will ask for this event to be changed to the informational event in the next update.
Zeedjej
Novice
Full Name: Christian Johansson

Post by Zeedjej »

Thanks Gostev! I also found this warning really annoying since I specified the proxy to failover to NBD if it has to.
Zeedjej
Novice

Failover warning

Post by Zeedjej »

[merged]

Is there any settings to have Veeam failover from direct SAN to network without generating a warning state? I want this to be an informational event and not trigger the backup to end up in warning state. I know that I can consider the backup as sucsessful but I also want it to be shown as sucessful.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Christian,

Currently there is no way to change this behavior, however as you can see from Anton's post above it should be changed in the next update ;)

Thanks!
Zeedjej
Novice

Post by Zeedjej »

Ok, i did't know that this was confirmed since Gostev wrote that he would ask for this to be changed. I haven't seen it in the known issues section either but I hope your right cause it's really anoying.

Thanks for the update!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

This behavior is not listed in the known issues section because it is not an issue to start with... this functionality is currently working as intended/designed. And in fact, it has been working like that for a few major versions now :D
tom_nl
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times

Post by tom_nl »

I'm a little lost in the answers above.
What is the current behavior in v10? Will it generate a warning when failing over to network mode?
If not, is there a registry key to enable this?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Current behavior(v10.0.1.4854) is an Informational(green) line in the session log, saying "Unable to hot add source disk, failing over to network mode... "

/Cheers!