Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
matts
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Szalkowski

Feature Request - Detailed Incremental Backup Logs

Post by matts »

I asked support about this and I was told that the feature currently did not exist, so my apologies if this exists somewhere and I am just not aware.

The reports I can run only seem to show a very small amount of detail in regards to the job. I would want to be able to see specifically what files were backed up. This would be useful for days that the incremental backup is running, so that I can use it to see what files changed that day. This applies both to VMs and Agent File backups.

Is this something that is possible? Or something that may already exist that I am missing?

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2879 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature Request - Detailed Incremental Backup Logs

Post by HannesK »

Hello Matthew,
I see no practical way how it could be achieved, as we do block based backup. We don't know anything about files (except for Agent file backup, but the list could be millions of files in a log which might not be helpful). We just copy changed blocks.

Example: 5MB of a 1GB changed. We only copy the 5MB. Same applies to VMs. We only copy changed blocks - no matter what it is (well okay, we exclude some useless blocks like swapfiles and deleted files for Windows VMs).

Could a file search for "modified yesterday" in Enterprise Manager maybe satisfy your needs?

Best regards,
Hannes
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Feature Request - Detailed Incremental Backup Logs

Post by Andreas Neufert »

If you have a scalable database or something similar you can use surebackup to boot the VM and get a list by SureBackup script. Then do whatever you want with this list.
But this approach is limited from scalability perspective as you have to store the infromation somewhere in a database.