Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
BoKTC
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ash Griffin

Feature Request - Reverse CDP during Failover

Post by BoKTC »

Hi All,

I'd like to request a feature please (or be told it's already in development :P )

We've moved to CDP from SRM. In SRM, when you fail over your datastore, the replication direction is reversed on completion of the failover. This speeds up the failback time in the event that it is still possible to fail back (i.e. no partial/total site/system loss at original site).

Would it be possible to replicate this in CDP? This would mean that - in the event of a planned failover for site maintenance etc. - you could fail everything over, reverse the replication to start bringing changes in recovery site back to original site in realtime, then when ready, fail back to the original site.

Alternatively, is there a way to achieve this within the existing featureset which doesn't break stuff?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Feature Request - Reverse CDP during Failover

Post by veremin »

Currently, you cannot achieve that with CDP.

We've tracked similar requests already, but cannot provide any information about if and when it will be implemented.

Thanks!
BoKTC
Novice

Post by BoKTC »

In that case, could you ask the team to analyse the effects of:

1. Perform a failover using CDP to failover site
2. Carry out a permanent failover - making the CDP replica the new "original"
3. Remove the CDP Policy
4. Create a new CDP policy using the new "original" machine as the source and the old "original" machine the seed for the replication
5. Failover/permanent failover to the old original machine at the end of the planned failover scenario and repeat steps 3 and 4 to re-establish "normal" replication to the failover site.

I'm looking at what the implications would be with regards backups/backup chain integrity, CDP capability, machine uptime etc.
BoKTC
Novice

Post by BoKTC »

Hi Folks,

Regarding my last post here - does anyone have a view as to whether this would work:

1. Perform a failover using CDP to failover site
2. Carry out a permanent failover - making the CDP replica the new "original"
3. Remove the CDP Policy
4. Create a new CDP policy using the new "original" machine as the source and the old "original" machine the seed for the replication
5. Failover/permanent failover to the old original machine at the end of the planned failover scenario and repeat steps 3 and 4 to re-establish "normal" replication to the failover site.