Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SynthosKralupy
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Synthos Kralupy

Feature request: which proxy is in use?

Post by SynthosKralupy »

Hello,

could you add info about active proxy server to job statistic window which is handling transform operation?

I found out I can't identify which of my proxy servers is in use during long-time running transform operation. I would like to know it due to maintenance, for example install Windows updates and reboot proxy server and don't break transform.

Thank you.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Feature request: which proxy is in use?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

You can get that info if you click on the VM's name in the left column in a session statistics view.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Btw, transform operations are performed by the backup repository (or gateway) server, not the proxy (unless a single server is assigned both roles).
SynthosKralupy
Enthusiast

Post by SynthosKralupy »

PTide wrote:Hi,

You can get that info if you click on the VM's name in the left column in a session statistics view.

Thanks
Yes, I know. But it is info for backuped VM only, but I mean transform operations. And there is no option where to click, transform ops are visible in right window - in details only.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

What kind of transform operation do you refer to? If the one that transfroms previous backup chain into a rollback then it occurs after full backup and, as foggy's mentioned, repository where the backups reside at, not proxy, is used for that.

Thanks
SynthosKralupy
Enthusiast

Post by SynthosKralupy »

Hello,

it was "full backup chain transformation" task in my case, part of Synthetic full backup job. I restarted (ok, not too smart) proxy server (well, same server is hosting two repositories) and caused error:

Code: Select all

4.3.2017 21:25:22 :: Previous full backup chain transformation failed Error: Agent: Failed to process method {Transform.Patch}: Unknown error
Failed to write data to the file [Y:\VeeamBackups\Backup_Job_-_all_VMs_2D2T\Backup Job - all VMs 2D2TD2017-03-02T200109.vrb].
SynthosKralupy
Enthusiast

Post by SynthosKralupy »

one more notice: I disabled proxy server in Veeam B&R console first, before its reboot. Strange that was possible, no even warning about server is in use...

Pavel.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

I restarted (ok, not too smart) proxy server (well, same server is hosting two repositories) and caused error
That's totally expected as you rebooted the repository that was known to be performing the transform operation.
one more notice: I disabled proxy server in Veeam B&R console first, before its reboot. Strange that was possible, no even warning about server is in use...
Disabling proxy makes it impossible to use that proxy for backup operation, transforms are still possible if the same host is a repository though. If you disable a proxy while a job is running VBR will let the job to finish first and will disable the proxy aftewards.