Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
evander
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

File Copy Job - Large Data Migration, yes or no?

Post by evander »

Hi. I am trying to get a good understanding if using Veeam File Copy Job would be a good tool to use to migrate a large amount of data from an old windows File Server to a new windows File Server.
I am not concerned with keeping permissions as I am building new NTFS permissions and AD security groups on the target file server. In fact the old and new File Servers are on different domains.

My question is more if Veeam File Copy is designed with this type of enterprise file copy in mind or if its more designed for moving a few backup files or ad-hoc files here and there.

Couple key points to consider:
  • Approx 45TB of data
    Approx 35 Million files
    Windows Deduplication - is Veeam File Copy aware and supported for dedup on either source or target?
Thanks.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: File Copy Job - Large Data Migration, yes or no?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Greetings evander!

File Copy Job is meant for small batches.
Since you are posting under VMware forum, I suspect your file servers are virtual?
In that case it will be best to run block-level migration, like backup old File Server VM and restore it's vmdk holding files, attaching it to a new File Server VM. Whole process of data migration can be instant with Veeam's Instant VM Recovery(with later finalization of the process using vMotion).

Hope that helps!
evander
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Re: File Copy Job - Large Data Migration, yes or no?

Post by evander »

Thanks Egor, much appreciated.