Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DamianWitkowski
Novice
Liked: never

File level restore using console installed on workstation

Post by DamianWitkowski »

Hello there,

Few weeks ago I've implemented Veeam B&R in place where I work. Now I'm testing file-level restoring. I've installed B&R replication console on my workstation and can browse files on backed up VM's but cannot restore to this workstation there is error while i press on file and select option "Copy to..."

"Failed to connect to backup server |mybackupservername|: Failed to interact with backup server: Unknown host."

Browsing for files backed up from Win2019 srv. Console is installed on Win11Pro

Trying to search here and google but I didn't found any solution.

BTW

While restoration I see greyed out option "Explorer..." - how it's work and how make it active?

I will be grateful for your help

Greeting,
Damian
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: File level restore using console installed on workstation

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the RnD forums Damian!
I've installed B&R replication console on my workstation and can browse files on backed up VM's
So Veeam Remote Console is connected to your B&R server and you've started File Level Recovery from the backup file stored in your repository, right?
"Failed to connect to backup server |mybackupservername|: Failed to interact with backup server: Unknown host." Browsing for files backed up from Win2019 srv. Console is installed on Win11Pro
Can you please clarify where backup files are stored (what's the repository type)? If that's the same backup server Windows machine, can you please confirm that you can access admin share on the computer with Remote Console from B&R server?
While restoration I see greyed out option "Explorer..." - how it's work and how make it active?
This functionality allows to restore specific application items - Veeam Explorers Overview, I assume you do not have such applications in this particular backup, right?
DamianWitkowski
Novice

So Veeam Remote Console is connected to your B&R server and you've started File Level Recovery from the backup file stored in your repository, right?
Exactly
Can you please clarify where backup files are stored (what's the repository type)? If that's the same backup server Windows machine, can you please confirm that you can access admin share on the computer with Remote Console from B&R server?
Shame to admit - it's currently QNAP NFS (it will be gone soon) share where we store backups. I can access to this NAS from my computer where Console is installed.
This functionality allows to restore specific application items - Veeam Explorers Overview, I assume you do not have such applications in this particular backup, right?
Yes - I don't have specific applications but now I know I can use this to browse our AD items.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks for the details!
Shame to admit - it's currently QNAP NFS (it will be gone soon) share where we store backups. I can access to this NAS from my computer where Console is installed.
Please check the repository properties: I assume that for the gateway server / mount server you have the Veeam B&R machine. If that's true make sure from Veeam B&R you can connect to your Console machine via admin share (that's the way how files are uploaded, so if admin share access is blocked - you likely get the same error as in the very first post). Hope it helps!
DamianWitkowski
Novice

I've set permission on data repository for Everyone. Still doesn't work :/
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

on data repository for Everyone
Machine you are restoring files to should be accessible via admin share, not the repository. Can you check that too please? Thank you!