Guest File System Indexing

VMware specific discussions

Re: Guest File System Indexing

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:31 am

Hi, Jason, you’ve been merged into existing discussion regarding VBRCatalog folder cleaning. So, kindly check the answers provided above and should any other questions arise, feel free to ask.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby jburkegb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:03 am

Hi v.Eremin

My question isnt related to the index folder this is working as it should, it is related to the journal folder , this is consming vast amounts of space 2.7gb per day I am only indexing 3 servers. What is the journal folder userd for? Is there any way to cap the size or the number of instances that it keeps
jburkegb
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Jason Burke

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:40 am

Journal folder contains contents presented to Search Server for indexing (text files).

If it’s Standard Edition that is being used, EM will preserve only index files of existing backups that currently are available on backup repositories.

In case of Enterprise one, EM will also keep the index files for backups that are no longer present in backup repositories, such as moved away to tape/offsite appliance, etc. In other words, in case of Entreprise edition, catalogue will be also kept for archived backups in accordance to the retention period specified in EM settings (EM -> Configuration -> Settings).

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby jburkegb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:14 am

Thank Vladmir

This still wouldnt explain why all of a sudden it starts to take up this amount of disk space, previously we had indexing set on all backup jobs (around 50 vms 15 jobs) and we were never alerted regarding disk space. Now I have set retention to 1 month (minimum allowed for retention) and disabled indexing on all but 1 veam backup job containing 3 vms around 2tb in storage and its using upwards of 70gb including index folder. The system drive is 136gb drives with the os and veam taking up over 80%.

So in conclusion turn off indexing and delete these files?

Thanks
jburkegb
Novice

Full Name: Jason Burke

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:17 am

Or enable compression on that volume.

I would also recommend to open a case with our technical team, probably there was some other change performed that caused the folder size growth, logs will tell the reason.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1080 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] Veeam B&R 6.5 // Deleting VBRCatalog folder

Veeam Logoby massimiliano.rizzi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:51 pm

Hello experts,

we have a problem with the “C:\VBRCatalog” folder filling up the drive on a physical Veeam B&R server.

Since Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager is not being used, we disabled the guest file system indexing check box so that Veeam Backup & Replication will stop performing file indexing.

Is it safe to delete the entire “C:\VBRCatalog” folder ?

Thanks and Regards,

Massimiliano
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Massimiliano Rizzi

[MERGED] : How do I configure VBRCatalog to not store any da

Veeam Logoby davidb1234 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:03 pm

I would like to remove all indexing data. None of our jobs use guest indexing and this c:\vbrcatalog folder takes up over 30GB. How can I disable this functionality completely or remove this? All of our backup jobs are set to not index guest file system.
davidb1234
Expert

Liked: 15 times
Full Name: David Borden

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi, David,

Your post has been merged into existing discussion regarding Catalog folder cleaning; so, kindly, see the answers provided above.

If you're not going to use indexing functionality or 1-click item restore (available in EM), you can safely delete all the data from this folder.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] : Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager - Retention Perio

Veeam Logoby ForestTom » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:52 am

Hello!

We are having some issues with our Veeam Backup, mainly with the index backups at D:\VBRCatalog\Index\Machines

I have been looking around and thought the setting was in the Enterprise Manager console, Configuration > Settings > Guest File System Catalog, which is currently set as 1 month but there are backup points in this folder dating back to last year, have i missed something?

Sorry if this a simple fix! i believe it is okay to delete older folders without any side effects, but i would rather it be done automatically!

we are running V7.0.0.764

any help would be greatly appreciated!
ForestTom
Novice

Full Name: Thomas McCaffery

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:33 am

Hi, Thomas,

Your post has been merged into existing discussion; please, take a look at the answers provided above. As mentioned, the obsolete, unused files can be deleted manually without any issues. Though, you can move them somewhere first and see whether anything is affected by this action. If not, proceed to complete deletion.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] : VBRCatalog journal folder using to much storage

Veeam Logoby siskos » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:21 am

On our production system running Veeam Backup Enterprise and Veeam Backup & Replication we are running out of disk space.

It seems that the VBRCatalog/Journal folder keeps growing.
As far as I can see it creates a folder for every month of backups, at the moment we have 3 folders 2014_07 - 09 with each holding approx 25GB of data.

On these forums we have found that you can change the setting Guest File System Catalog but this did not help.
Currently the setting is at 1 month but the older folders are still on the filesystem, can we safely delete these older folders (2014_07 & 2014_08)?

Thanks in advance.
siskos
Lurker

Full Name: siskos

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:30 am

Hi,

Your post has been merged into existing discussion. Kindly, see the answers provided above regarding similar matter. More specifically, this post. Feel free to ask for additional clarification, if needed.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby btmaus » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:08 am

I have some questions regarding Guest File Indexing:

1. When a Windows Server is backed up by Veeam with the Index option enabled, where does that indexing take place?
Is it within the VM being backed up?
If so, and I only specify the D drive to be indexed and nothing else, will the indexing files be stored on the D drive of that VM?

2. Where are the indexes kept, on the VBR server I assume?

3. I was testing indexing on some test servers, how do I remove those indexes now so that they don't show up in Enterprise Manager anymore?
btmaus
Expert

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:22 am

btmaus wrote:1. When a Windows Server is backed up by Veeam with the Index option enabled, where does that indexing take place?
Is it within the VM being backed up?

Right.

btmaus wrote:If so, and I only specify the D drive to be indexed and nothing else, will the indexing files be stored on the D drive of that VM?

Indexes are stored inside VM only temporarily, until being sent to the Veeam Backup Catalog folder.

btmaus wrote:2. Where are the indexes kept, on the VBR server I assume?

Both on Veeam backup server and Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager (if installed on different server).

btmaus wrote:3. I was testing indexing on some test servers, how do I remove those indexes now so that they don't show up in Enterprise Manager anymore?

Just clean-up the Veeam Backup Catalog folder.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1080 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby btmaus » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:02 am

foggy wrote:Just clean-up the Veeam Backup Catalog folder.

Thanks foggy. So I can just delete those VM directories from that catalog folder?
btmaus
Expert

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Glenn L

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere