Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
v334m
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: A

Guest IP Address Priority Order / Exchange DAG Heartbeat IP

Post by v334m »

Hi,
Having an intermittent issue when Exchange DAG backups are failing, i believe when trying to invoke the guest VSS snapshot.
The Guest OS creds are local admin, and backups eventually work after a few retries or the following day. (On the same DAG node, i am only backing up the passive node)

I would like to know how to get Veeam to use the actual Guest IP rather than the DAG heartbeat IP address, (169.xxxxxxx)
As you can see in the logs, it first tries the heartbeat IP (169.xxx) then the IPv6 address, and finally the actual IP.
Looking in vSphere, the heartbeat shows first, and i have to click "view ip addresses" to see all three of them.

In this case, it actually failed when using the correct IP, i have no idea why. It usually works - any light shed on this would be great.

Logs have had server names and credentials replaced.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Guest IP Address Priority Order / Exchange DAG Heartbeat

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Welcome to our community forums!

I have removed job logs from your post, as posting debug information violates our forum rules.

Be aware that Veeam backup job is using all IP addresses (one by one) that are reported by VMware Tools to access Guest OS. Alternatively, you can use this trick to use networkless connection to the Guest OS. Finally, I would recommend reviewing this existing thread about tips & tricks of backing up Exchange DAG VMs, should be useful > Exchange 2010 DAG backup ?

Thank you!
v334m
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: A

Post by v334m »

Hi
Thanks for your response, sorry about the logs. I have read that DAG backup? thread lots already :)

Guess there's not much i can do about the IP priority, but i believe my actual backing-stopping issue is unrelated. So can ignore this. Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Actually you can "resolve" that IP priority issue by switching to networkless connection mode via VMware Tools (VIX) API. As to the failing backups, then most likely this is, indeed, unrelated to IP priority, so your best bet would be to send job logs to our support team for investigation. Thanks!