Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
alamb200
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Anthony Lamb

Guest Processing skipped (Check VMWare Tools status)

Post by alamb200 »

Hi,
We are running Backup and Replication 9.5 U4 at one site and we have had a few issues with backing up one of the VMs, I have managed to resolve most of them but I have one problem still hanging around.
The backup completes with the warning "Guest processing skipped (check VMware Tools status)", also when I look in vSphere at this server I see the following message "The configured guest OS (Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 bit)) for this virtual machine does not match the guest that is currently running (Microsoft Windows 7 (64 bit)). You should specify the correct guest OS to allow for guest-specific optimizations.
The Veeam Server is Windows 10 and the server been backed up is Windows 2011 SBS Server.
Can anybody help with this.
Regards,
Anthony
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Guest Processing skipped (Check VMWare Tools status)

Post by wishr »

Hi Anthony,

I suppose the guest OS type was incorrectly set for this VM during the initial configuration. Could you please make sure it matches the real OS being installed? Also, it might be a good idea to update/reinstall VMware Tools if the guest OS type is set correctly.

If that does not help it would be best to reach out to our support team for investigation since more details are required for troubleshooting (the VMWTools issue and the job warning may be two independent issues). Personally, I'm wondering what is the concrete error message (what is written after "Guest processing skipped (check VMware Tools status)" and in the next lines in the logs.

Please do not forget to post your case ID here for reference purpose.

Regards,
Fedor
alamb200
Novice

Post by alamb200 »

Hi Fedor,
I have just had a look through the log files and I can't actually see that message in there.
I can look at reinstalling VMTools but it will be an overnight job, so it would be Monday before I can post an update to that.
Regards,
Anthony
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Anthony,

You can raise a support request in parallel, so our engineers will be able to assess the logs, thus you'll have more information on Monday.

Please let us know how it goes.

BR,
Fedor
alamb200
Novice

Post by alamb200 »

Hi Fedor,
I had an open call with Veeam already, so I asked the question, and their answer is:
This is not an error "Guest processing skipped". Basically if the VMWARE Tools are already installed (at the latest level), this checkup is being skipped. So this doesn't show an error but is just an informational event.
So I guess at that I can ignore the message.
Thanks for your help,
Anthony
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Anthony,

Could you please share your case ID for our reference? I'd like to check the details because unfortunately, this error states that Guest Processing does not work for this VM due to the VMWTools issue, so it's recommended to resolve it, especially keeping in mind you have Exchange running inside. I think VMWTools update should solve the issue, if not - VMware Support should be able to help with that.

Regards,
Fedor