Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
DREPSO
Novice
Liked: never

Hard Drive Increase Breaks Veeam Replication

Post by DREPSO »

I am having a problem with Veeam Replication. Every time I increase the size of a server hard drive, replication stops with an error about a size mismatch. Does anyone know of the best method for increasing the hard drive while maintaining replications? The last time this happened I contacted support and they had me increase the hard drive size of the replica vm, which didn't work. They also sent me an article about seeding, but I am not using seeding and my version of Veeam is missing the options specified in the article. In the end I just wiped out the replica and let the replication job run. But, obviously, I don't want to keep doing it that way.

Thanks for any assistance!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Hard Drive Increase Breaks Veeam Replication

Post by PTide »

Hi,
The last time this happened I contacted support and they had me increase the hard drive size of the replica vm, which didn't work.
Which VBR version are you running? Could you also porvide case ID you are reffering to? VB&R should handle resizing source replica disks by merging existing snapshots and making corresponding changes on replica VMs. If that doesn't happen, please, open a ticket with our support team and provide case number here.

Thank you.
DREPSO
Novice

Post by DREPSO »

Veeam Backup & Replication version: 8.0.0.2084
Case number was: 01423941
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

So, I've read the case and it seems that some misunderstanding occurred between you and support engineer. Please follow these steps in order to use replica mapping (don't confuse it with seeding) if you want to avoid sending replica to DR. If encounter any difficulties during the process please let us know.

Thank you.
DREPSO
Novice

Post by DREPSO »

Yes, that is the same article the support engineer sent me. That option under Data Transfer, Seeding, I don't have that in my Veeam. So, I can't "Select the Map replicas to existing VMs check box."
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

That option under Data Transfer, Seeding, I don't have that in my Veeam
Have you checked the "Low connection bandwidth checkbox"?

Thank you.
DREPSO
Novice

Post by DREPSO »

I'm sorry, it wasn't. I have honestly read that article a half dozen times and I never saw that line at the very top.

I have mapped the VM to the replica and I am now waiting for the job to run.