Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
howartp
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Peter Howarth

Help understanding/diagnosing SureBackup

Post by howartp »

Hi.

I've setup a SureBackup job but it is failing to ping the VM(s) it runs and therefore fails. Could someone please see if I've got my understanding right?

I've monitored what is happening and manually created a dummy VM to play with.

The VMware ESX host I'm using has two vSwitches. On the production vSwitch are three VLANs 4, 5 and 9. My dummy VM, when added to those VLANs, behaves correctly and can see the entire production estate as it should. VLAN 9 is the only one with DHCP on it in my production network, and none of the VMs being restore by Veeam are on VLAN9, so you can actually ignore it.

On the VirtualLab vSwitch (created by B&R) are two VLANs 4 and 5. All production VMs being backed up by Veeam are on either 4 or 5. The gateway for each VLAN is 192.168.4.254 or 192.168.5.254 respectively

When SureBackup runs, the VirtualLab proxy VM that it creates has three IP addresses. 192.168.4.121 in the Production network, 192.168.4.254 in the VLAN4 virtual network, and 192.168.5.254 in the VLAN5 virtual network.

Any PC on the production estate can ping .4.121 when the proxy VM is running, so that side is working.

Any VM within the VLAN4 virtual network can ping each other - EXCEPT none of them can ping the proxy vm on .4.254

My dummy VM is 192.168.4.123 and the VM being tested by SureBackup is .4.23 - they can ping each other ok, but neither can ping .4.254 (the production gateway when live, and should be the proxy vm when in the virtual lab?).

Should SureBackup VMs be able to ping the proxy VM on .4.254 ?

I've screenshotted the VMs as they're running:
Peter
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Help understanding/diagnosing SureBackup

Post by PTide »

Hi,
My dummy VM is 192.168.4.123 and the VM being tested by SureBackup is .4.23 - they can ping each other ok
It's ok that your dummy that is outside the lab cannot ping the internal (Lab) ip of your proxy appliance, however it's not normal that the VM being tested cannot ping proxy appliance IP from the inside.

Please make sure that both of your production networks are mapped to isolated networks.

Next, check what's in "Network Settings" --> "your isolated x.x.4.x network" --> "Edit" --> "Proxy appliance IP address". It should match your production gateway.

Also please uncheck "Enable DHCP service on this interface" in case you use static IP.

After all is don kindly rerun the job and see if it works. If not then please post here job log.

Thank you.
howartp
Enthusiast

Post by howartp »

Thanks Pavel.

All those settings are already correctly set.

Log here: http://web.southcraven.org/VeeamSureBackup/job.txt
ton.huynh
Veeam Software
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ton Huynh

Post by ton.huynh » 1 person likes this post

Can you make sure that the proxy vm and the veeam backup server is on the same vlan
howartp
Enthusiast

Post by howartp »

ton.huynh wrote:Can you make sure that the proxy vm and the veeam backup server is on the same vlan
Bingo!

I was planning on that in due course anyway, but since the Veeam server is in a building that is all VLAN 9, I put it on that initially.

Thanks for your help.

Peter