Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
carlosbehlau
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos Behlau

Helping me understand the role of remote proxy

Post by carlosbehlau »

Hello Veeam Experts,

I am testing replication over WAN.
I have two sites. Site A (remote) has a Veeam Backup (Version = 8 Enterprise) and Site B (primary) has also a Veeam Backup Server (Version = 8 Enterprise).
On both sites, I have installed a separate Veeam Proxy (VMware Instance), as based on the documentation => http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... ation.html

What is not clear to me, is the access to backup repository. I need the Veeam Backup Server (Site A remote) to perform local backups and restore, also having a management console, when connection to Site B primrary is lost - also to much data is backup - the "pure" Veeam Proxy is not working over WAN - we tested it already.
On site B (primary), I add the proxy of site A (remote).
Now the question: If I add the backup repository of site A (remote) to my backup server on site B (primary), isn't this going to case conflicts, when a backup/restore job is running and the replication job want to mount the backups for data seeding task?
Is it possible, the remote backup server (site A) can have the three roles (proxy and backup server and repository) at once or does the backup data on the local repository needs to be shared?
Or, does the local repository needs to be linked to the proxy (of Site A = remote) server? If yes, how is this done?

Our landscape is based on Windows 2008 64 bit (English) and all Veeam Server are having the same version setup => 8 + SP3

Thanks for your help getting a clear understanding of the proxy role and the role of the backup repository and its functions.

Best regards

Carlos Behlau
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Helping me understand the role of remote proxy

Post by PTide »

Hi,
the "pure" Veeam Proxy is not working over WAN
What do you mean by "is not working"?
If I add the backup repository of site A (remote) to my backup server on site B (primary), isn't this going to case conflicts
It's OK to add one repo to both of your servers, just keep in mind that Veeam servers are not aware of each other thus keep an eye on how many jobs you run with that repo to avoid an overload.

What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to run backup jobs locally and run replication from those backups offsite? Please elaborate.

Thank you.
carlosbehlau
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos Behlau

Post by carlosbehlau »

Hi,

thanks for your help.

By "pure" proxy I am mean the following:
I am having a site where we tested proxy + storage connected to proxy.
In the primary site, we added the proxy and the backup repository.
For e. g. the file servers backup browser (in Veeam Management Console) is taking for ever (file server has a lot of change and a size of 4 TB. That is (seems) to (be) much for the proxy over WAN).

We want to replicate our mission critical VMs from remote sites to our primary DataCenter.
The idea is to use local full/incremental backup data for data seeding and remapping the data to existing VMs on primary site (we shipped the data via USB disk or fast Internet connection, where it was possible).
I saw lock errors, once I added the backup repository of the remote site, to my backup servers on primary site.
For example: The replication is taking 8 hours. During the replication task is running, we can't perform a backup of the VMs, that gets replicated, as the full+last incremental is locked.
We need to make sure, first backup finishing, than replication tasks. As the both backup server does not know each other, we are unable to build chains.

Best regards

Carlos Behlau
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

A possible solution might be to use backup copy job from offsite to primary + replica from backup job in order to reduce the load on your production storage and avoid taking a snapshot. Btw, what license do you have, is it Enterprise+ ? Also what's the WAN speed between those sites?

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

I'm also not sure you need two instances of Veeam B&R, sine you can easily manage everything using a single instance.