Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cag
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Conrad Gotzmann

Hot add is not supported for this disk strange.

Post by cag »

This error happens to often.
2/15/2012 7:06:46 PM :: Hot add is not supported for this disk, failing over to network mode...

The VEEAM Server is a 2003 32bit. To fix this error requires reboot of VEEAM

Is 2003 windows server the best choice. I know VMWARE is involved in hot adding, but im not sure if it VMWARE or VEEAM talking to VMWARE issue. ?
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Re: Hot add is not supported for this disk strange.

Post by Sethbartlett »

This can happen for a multitude of reasons. It doesn't exactly mean anything is wrong. Proxies are set to "Automatic" by default, it may try to hot-add a disk and realize that it can't, so it fails over to network mode. It tries SAN, then Hot-add, then Network mode. I believe we are going to eventually make these warnings informational so the jobs do not give a warning status.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
cag
Enthusiast

Post by cag »

Ok but why does it work sometimes and the next time it fails. and once if fails I need to reboot the veeam server so the next run hot add works again. It would be nice to know if it fails and why it fails so the problem can be fixed.

The message states Hot add is not supported. Then it should fail everytime. So why can the disk be hot added after a reboot. ?
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

If you are running many jobs at once, it may be a limitation of the SCSI device. You can only have 15 disks on a SCSI controller at any given time, so if you are hot-adding or backing up VMs with a lot of disks or a lot of VMs at the same time, this can occur. I cannot be 100% sure of why it is happening without logs really though. It is pure speculation on what I know about the normal hot-add failure reasons.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
cag
Enthusiast

Post by cag »

I only run 1 job at a time. The funny thing is that if I open disk manager I see the disk being hot added and mounted then they close and the error is logged. Can I set a more verbose logging to get more info ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Conrad, you can open a support case, provide the full logs and get one of the tech guys to identify the reason of such behavior for you.
Soz
Lurker
Full Name: Saroj Shrestha

Post by Soz »

Same issues here! Have you guys managed to fix this problem or should I be contacting VEEAM Support?

Many thanks,
Soz
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Just to be on the same page - there are certain conditions when HotAdd cannot be used due to storage accessibility reasons and so on. Make sure yo do not use this configuration. If you believe it is not the case, then feel free contact our support team for further investigation.
BillB61
Lurker
Full Name: Bill Beardshaw

Post by BillB61 »

Please make it a warning. I have several PC's that I backup in the same job. Hot Add is not supported on PC's so I will always see a warning. Make me have to check the job every day for the same non-existing problem. Thanks.
vipthomps
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Eric Thompson

Post by vipthomps »

Is the disk IDE? if so you will not be able to Hot Add it (only SCSI VMDKs can)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Bill, not sure I understand what you are saying. Why do you want to check the job every day for the same non-existing problem?
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I've always translated the warning result in a job as "job completed, simply not as it was configured". So, if the job is not explicitly failed, I'm not taking too much care of warning results, backup has anyway saved my VMs correctly.
There are too many reasons a job will fall into the warning state: IDE disks in hotadd, nfs datastore, to name some of them. If I know for example a VM has a ide disk, I will not take care of the daily warning.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Oh, so the opposite - the warning IS logged today, but you want it to be an informational event instead?
Chandra Shekhar
Lurker
Full Name: Chandra Shekhar Dabbiru

Post by Chandra Shekhar »

I am facing the same issue and my backups are completing with warnings "Hot add is not supported in tis disk type, failing over to network mode.

Can anyone assist me in this. I am new to VEEAM backup and Replication :-)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If Virtual Appliance mode fails to process some of your VMs and fails over to network mode, click here to see the complete list of current vStorage API limitation around Virtual Appliance.
ragavendran.b
Lurker
Full Name: ragav

Post by ragavendran.b »

i guess this might be the solution

Hot-add or SAN mode fails on a localized proxy.

In the job log, you can see the following error:

Info [AP] (2a1a) output: 2012-01-26T12:07:14.429+01:00 [02252 error 'Default'] Cannot use advanced transport modes for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/moref=vm-xxx/snapshot-xxx: Cannot lock directory C:\Windows\TEMP\VeeamBackup\VeeamAgent-xxx\vmware-Syst??me\4236b6e2-7cc1-1eb0-71dc-7469acd8abaf-vm-xxx.\n
Info [AP] (d8e4) output: --wn:Hot add is not supported for this disk, failing over to network mode...\n
Info [AP] (d8e4) warning: Hot add is not supported for this disk, failing over to network mode...
Warning Hot add is not supported for this disk, failing over to network mode...

Cause: The issue is connected to the limitations of the VMware VDDK 5.0 disk library

(http://www.vmware.com/support/developer ... Notes.html):

Problem using UTF-16 characters in pathnames.

When VixDiskLib_Open() is given a pathname containing UTF-16 characters, the virtual disk library fails to find the file. On Windows 2008 for example, the pathname Temp\vmware-système\*vm* contains è as a UTF-16 character, whereas VixDiskLib expects UTF-8. One workaround is to override the Temp pathname in the configuration file by setting the tmpDirectory key, using a non-UTF-16 pathname. For details, see documentation for VixDiskLib_InitEx(). KB 1037379 discusses a similar issue.

Solution: The current workaround is to restart all six Veeam services under a user other than a local administrator. In this case, the path to the temporary directory causing the issue will look like C:\Windows\TEMP\VeeamBackup\VeeamAgent-xxx\vmware-NameOfTheUser\.

Do the following:

- Close the Veeam console.
- Create a new user (domain administrator) on Veeam server using only non-accented letters and numbers (and no special symbols) for the username as well as for the password.
- Add this user to the group of local administrators.
- Modify all six Veeam services so they use the credentials of the new user.
- Restart all Veeam services.
- Restart the jobs.

More Information: After restarting all Veeam services under the new user, you should see the following in the log:

Info [AP] (6378) output: 2011-12-13T17:35:09.288+01:00 [01688 info 'transport'] Successfully mounted snapshot ssid:snapshot-67 on mount point C:\Users\veeam\AppData\Local\Temp\VeeamBackup\VeeamAgent-xxx\vmware-veeam\

(
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

What Veeam B&R version are you using? v6 used to have this issue on some localized versions (VDDK issue, actually) but this was addressed in one of the patches and then in v6.1.