Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rockstershine
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Draganov Krzystof

How can I copy the entire backup repository to a USB drive?

Post by rockstershine » 1 person likes this post

Hello everyone,

Just a bit of context, I have a PowerEdge server with 8 disk slots, with Windows Server on top and Veeam Backup and Replication installed. 2 drives form a RAID-1 array for the OS and 5 SATA drives form a RAID-5 array for the D: drive to which my Backup Repository is pointing to.

I want to repalce the 5 SATA drives with bigger 5 SAS drives, and I can't do the rolling replacement method (replace one by one - wait for RAID rebuild and so on...) since it's SATA vs SAS

The feasible option I looked for was to use an external USB drive, copy the Backup Repository to it, have the new Backup Jobs write to it, delete the old RAID-5 array and create the new one with the bigger drives, and then after the new partition is formed transfer the data from the USB drive to the new D: partition and have the Backup Jobs point to it again.

I know I sound like I have it figured out, but I don't know exactly how to do this "copy" operation? Is it as simple as copying the D: drive to the USB drive (like a Windows copy) or is there a feature within Veeam that allows to replicate the entire repo to an external location while ensuring data integrity (cause I assume a Windows copy can corrupt some metadata along the way...)?

Also assuming I did transfer the data correctly back to the new partition is it as simple as mapping the backup job to the D: drive again or I have to import something? Of course the restore jobs have to work correctly and I need to see all the restore points from before the replacement.

Thank you everyone in advance, appreciate any sort of tip
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: How can I copy the entire backup repository to a USB drive?

Post by Mildur »

Hi Draganov

We have a kb article which describe how to migrate to a new storage. To summarize, it‘s move backup files and remap the job to the chain at the new location.
https://www.veeam.com/kb1729

The „move backup files“ step is done outside of veeam. You can just copy the files with explorer, robocopy or any other tool you like.
If you want to use veeam, you could use the File copy Job. I need to check if we do a integrity check after writing.
Or you can use our Backup Validator after you have copied the files:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Keep in mind, you will loose space savings from FastClone when you move/copy the backup files. This is important to know in case you have used reFS in your windows backup server.

If you can wait for Veeam Backup & Replication V12 with the migration, V12 will allow you to move the files without loosing FastClone savings.

Thank you
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Post by FrancWest »

What about using a disk imaging tool like Clonezilla? As far as I know this keeps the space savings on ReFS.

Franc.
david.domask
VeeaMVP
Liked: 278 times

Post by david.domask »

Just from the Support side, I'd second rsync/robocopy. Something that is a bit more intelligent about copies than Windows and validates itself.

Windows is fine but it has a lot of caching it does across all copy operations that can catch you when you least suspect it, and it's not uncommon that "something" happens during this stage. I'm not saying it's guaranteed to be a problem, but just based on cases, I'd personally use something that guarantees copy integrity.

Image level I also am not sure about as even with Clonezilla you need to stage the clone somewhere as far as I know (happy to be wrong about this) and even if the clone is fine, you have to ensure the clone image is fine and without issue. The scope of risk for just something like rsync looks to be a lot lower as it's per-file and at worst you might just lose a chain/a few files.
David Domask | Director: Customer Care | Veeam Technical Support
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Post by FrancWest » 1 person likes this post

Clonezilla is able to do device to device cloning. See:

https://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-co ... disk_clone
david.domask
VeeaMVP
Liked: 278 times

Post by david.domask »

Ah, that's great to know! It's honestly been years since I used Clonezilla so it's just nice info.

I still have a sensation that rsync is "easier" for me, but that's just personal preference. :)
David Domask | Director: Customer Care | Veeam Technical Support
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

Post by albertwt »

Hi Veeam Team,

So in this case to do the clone/replication for the entire backup repo LUN, can we use any image-level utilities to perform the drive cloning?
WIll this break any supportability from Veea, point of view or just fine?
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */