Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bradramsey360
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Brad Ramsey

How is Processing Rate calculated?

Post by bradramsey360 »

What's the formula for the "Processing rate"? The documentation says "Processing rate — average speed of VM data processing. This counter is a ratio between the amount of processed data (Processed counter) and job duration (Duration counter)." (http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... stics.html)

But my processing rates aren't adding up. For example I ran a job that showed 1.2TB "Processed" in 5.5 minutes. That comes to 3636 MB/s. But the Processing Rate of the job says it's 91 MB/s.

Even if you look at the example from the link above.. Says it's processed 13.7 GB in 12.2 minutes. That's 18.7 MB/s. But in the example it shows 29 MB/s.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: How is Processing Rate calculated?

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

We don't count zeroed regions of VMDK in processed size, as this artificially inflates processing speed number. Great for marketing, but useless for troubleshooting :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Brad, processing rate is calculated off the actually read data (so yes, zeroes don't count) and the time it took to transfer data, rather than the entire processed data and overall duration of the job (as it used to be prior v7, AFAIR). The doc needs to be corrected. Thanks!
KeiichiKun
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times

[MERGED] Calculation of processing rate

Post by KeiichiKun »

Hi all,
until today I was thinking that processing rate was calculated using total time from first byte to last byte really written.
I've opened case #02105684 about slow backup speed, and the support told me that the value is calculated using total time of job, from start to end.
So, if I've 10GB to backup and job waits for resource availability for 2 hours and takes 10 minutes to backup data, total speed will be calculated on 2 hours and 10 minutes and not only on 10 minute. Correct?
What do you think about it? I'm the only one that would like to see two processing rate (one for real data transfer and one for total time)?
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Support engineer was wrong, processing rate accounts only actual data processing time.
medacek
Novice
Full Name: Oto Cech

[MERGED] How is Processing Rate calculated?

Post by medacek »

Hello, could you please explain me how is working Processing rate for backup job .

Because in website is written: Processing rate — average speed of VM data processing. This counter is a ratio between the amount of data that has actually been read and job duration.

Even results on official site are not correct.

But to me doesn't make sense. Here is an example from me:

Read 331,6 GB with duration 21m:06s. So according to count formula it should be (331,6x1024) /(21:06x60)= so 339558/1266=268,2 MB/s. But in results I can see as Processing rate 300MB/s.

So what is correct or how it should be calculated please?
Case NR 06134338
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I have the feeling, that the numbers of the text don't match with the screenshot.

Best regards,
Hannes
medacek
Novice

Post by medacek »

Hello HannesK. Yes you are right this picture is from official Veeam web. And it is not related to my example. But we can count it to..24,5x1024/9m51sec
so it is 25088/591 =42,45 MB/s but on picture you can see 61MB/s . So it is confusing , that you have official formula , but if you use it for some case , results are not correct
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
agree, that looks like an issue. Let me check with the support engineer and thanks for reporting!

Best regards,
Hannes
medacek
Novice

Post by medacek »

@HannesK. Any news regarding post above please?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
No news. Currently it looks like the user guide is wrong. But discussions are still ongoing (vacation season...).

Best regards,
Hannes
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I merged your question to the explanation from 2017. The user guide is wrong, I will talk to tech writers to adjust it.

The idea is to show how fast the actual data processing is. I agree, that makes the value not really good to calculate / estimate other job durations. On the other hand: if we would use the entire job duration, the value could go down massively on days where retention gets applied. For example on deduplication appliances or object storage it takes a significant amount of time to delete restore points. That would also not be helpful.

Best regards,
Hannes