How is Processing Rate calculated?

VMware specific discussions

How is Processing Rate calculated?

Veeam Logoby bradramsey360 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:15 am

What's the formula for the "Processing rate"? The documentation says "Processing rate — average speed of VM data processing. This counter is a ratio between the amount of processed data (Processed counter) and job duration (Duration counter)." (http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... stics.html)

But my processing rates aren't adding up. For example I ran a job that showed 1.2TB "Processed" in 5.5 minutes. That comes to 3636 MB/s. But the Processing Rate of the job says it's 91 MB/s.

Even if you look at the example from the link above.. Says it's processed 13.7 GB in 12.2 minutes. That's 18.7 MB/s. But in the example it shows 29 MB/s.
bradramsey360
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Brad Ramsey

Re: How is Processing Rate calculated?

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:05 pm 1 person likes this post

We don't count zeroed regions of VMDK in processed size, as this artificially inflates processing speed number. Great for marketing, but useless for troubleshooting :)
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2381 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:40 pm

Brad, processing rate is calculated off the actually read data (so yes, zeroes don't count) and the time it took to transfer data, rather than the entire processed data and overall duration of the job (as it used to be prior v7, AFAIR). The doc needs to be corrected. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] Calculation of processing rate

Veeam Logoby KeiichiKun » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi all,
until today I was thinking that processing rate was calculated using total time from first byte to last byte really written.
I've opened case #02105684 about slow backup speed, and the support told me that the value is calculated using total time of job, from start to end.
So, if I've 10GB to backup and job waits for resource availability for 2 hours and takes 10 minutes to backup data, total speed will be calculated on 2 hours and 10 minutes and not only on 10 minute. Correct?
What do you think about it? I'm the only one that would like to see two processing rate (one for real data transfer and one for total time)?
Thanks!
KeiichiKun
Enthusiast

Liked: 6 times

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:52 pm 1 person likes this post

Support engineer was wrong, processing rate accounts only actual data processing time.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Return to VMware vSphere