Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
timlam
Lurker
Liked: never

How to use second VMKernel for Network Backup

Post by timlam »

Hi All, I have requirement so that need to use proxy with Network mode for process backup.

Here are some information

vCenter vcsa: version 6.7, use IP network A
ESXI: version 6.7, first/default kernel use network A on vSwitch0, then create second kernel use network B as I want for backup on vSwitch1.

Created the DNS record for ESXI with network A in DNS server, therefore vCenter I added that ESXI with FQDN
Created VM proxy with network B as default gateway.
In Veeam console, added vCenter via FQDN, added the VM Proxy and restrict to Network mode
Also set the prefer network traffic to Network B

Finally I created the backup job for test, the result show no available resource on ESXI managment subnet and failed.

If I add the Standalone ESXI with Network B directly, then the job become success.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: How to use second VMKernel for Network Backup

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

v Center gives Veeam the FQDN of the ESXi host, the Veeam Server or the Veeam Proxy will then reach out to DNS to get the IP address and will connect to this address. In your case it is the IP address from ESXi host from network A.

You need to create entries on the hosts file for the FQDN and short hostnamen of the ESXi host on the Backup and all Proxy Server (if you have some) that point to the network B address. That way the DNS lookup will point to the right interface.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

timlam
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by timlam »

Andreas Neufert wrote: Aug 27, 2020 6:28 am v Center gives Veeam the FQDN of the ESXi host, the Veeam Server or the Veeam Proxy will then reach out to DNS to get the IP address and will connect to this address. In your case it is the IP address from ESXi host from network A.

You need to create entries on the hosts file for the FQDN and short hostnamen of the ESXi host on the Backup and all Proxy Server (if you have some) that point to the network B address. That way the DNS lookup will point to the right interface.
thanks for your quick reply, it works and thanks every much
TaylorB
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Taylor B.

[MERGED] Vmware second management port for backups

Post by TaylorB »

I have some Vmware hosts with management network on 1GbE. I would like to keep using NBD mode, but send backups over a different vswitch that has 10GbE links. If I made a second Vmkernel for management traffic in vmware, could I force Veeam to use that interface instead of the main one that is only 1 gig?

I can't move all management traffic to the 10GbE switch due to the network topology, only the backup traffic.
TaylorB
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Taylor B.

[MERGED] Re: Vmware second management port for backups

Post by TaylorB » 1 person likes this post

I found another forum post that says this may be possible using host files on the backup proxy pointing to the second management port IP.

vmware-vsphere-f24/how-to-use-second-vm ... 68955.html

So maybe that would be the answer I was looking for.
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi @TaylorB,

Thank you for using forum search :)
Moved your posts to this thread to keep the same questions in one thread.
Hope the suggested solution works for you, but do not hesitate to ask if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!